Friday, August 10, 2012

Friday 10.8: Push press + wod (video)

Friday. Push press 5 x 5 (RM 60kg). Rest 5 min. Wod: rowing and kb, time 10.10.

  • Row 500m
  • 1min rest
  • 30 KB (20kg)
  • 1min rest
  • Row 1000m
  • 1min rest
  • 50 KB (20kg)

I enjoy giving pressure on my shoulders. A few years back I had problems with my right shoulder as it became inflamed during a floorball season due to too much training and too many games in a short period of time. It took about half a year to get it back in shape. I took a visit to a physiologist then and we decided that the best way to prevent similar injuries is to strengthen the joints and muscles in the shoulder and all those surrounding muscles as well. From that day on I've had that in mind. After starting crossfit, my shoulders have definitely got stronger.

Today we took on the strength training with Toni, push press. After getting our bodies ready for the exercise, we took 30 + 40 + 50 + 55 + 60kg push press with 5 reps, the 60kg bar was lifted only once, it was too heavy for several reps. Thinking about it afterwards, we should have lifted something like 50 + 50 + 50 + 55 + 60 kg, it was way too light in the beginning so there were not that many reps with heavier kilos.At least  I'm wiser for the next time.


Our metcon consisted of rowing and kettlebell swing with 20kg kb. I saw this wod in some crossfit gym's home site and it got my attention immediately. Toni was instantly pumped up so we decided to give it a shot. The idea was to start with rowing 500m, then compulsory 1min rest period, then 30 kb swings, 1 min rest, 1,000m rowing, 1min rest and finally 50 kb swings. Toni started it, rowing like a maniac, finishing rowing at 1.49, first swings took about 1 minute. The latter rowing was however over 4 minute drill, and you could see the fatigue hitting him. The last kb swings were a fight against oneself. Body wants to quit but mind says: lets go! Final time 12.30. Good job man.

I begun the rowing faster than ever before, ending with 1.39 at 500 meters. Kb's were easy the first time. The second rowing hit me in a similar way as with Toni, after 400 meters it seemed like I had rowed for eternity and strength is about to fade away. I fought it trough, ending it with a pace somewhere around 1.45 - 1.50 / 500m. My strategy with the kb was to do 25 + 25 but while doing it I decided not to drop it and I managed to perform them unbroken. I'm very happy not to keep any pauses in between. It was a mental win! Final time 10.10. I don't know what I could have done better, I'm very pleased. There might have been only 50 sec rest between 30 kb and 1.000m rowing as my time taker was asleep, thanks Toni ;)


This was a good day of training. Toni enjoyed it as well, the entire week has been a blast. My girlfriend was also at the gym, naturally, and did a whole set of strength training.

I still could have added some heavier set in the push press, that's the only thing I'm regretting. The metcon was a tough one on the heart and arms, they were on fire after rowing, also my legs and calves were almost cramping when rowing so I really think I left my body at the gym. My body needs a short break because of all the burden it has carried this week so tomorrow is going to be an easier one.

5 comments:

  1. next time i will do KB's unbroken. Then total time could be somewhere around 11:00-11:30 min.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you need some time to recover. Reading your blog and trying to understand, how can you do all the exercises the way you do...I suppose the answer is obvious - you have just been training so long so hard. Have a nice weekend! Br, Kari

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, tomorrow I'm just going to chill out and relax. Streching and recovering. No need to worry ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. And Toni, how about the music, let me think, who chose it? :D
    You will definitely make it unbroken net time, mental strength has grown every time you've done these wods. I'm so proud of the way you are training nowadays!

    ReplyDelete