Friday, August 17, 2012

Friday 17.8: Front squat + wod (video)

Friday. Two different training sets today.
Morning training. Strength: front squat 6 x 5, max 90kg. 5min rest. Wod: 40-30-20-10: kettlebell (20kg), wall ball, box jumps. Time 10.36.
Afternoon training: Handstand skills training.



Strength training. Front squat 60+60+70+70+80+90kg. This was second time this week on squats. Back squat on Monday and front squat today. It feels like its rolling well at the moment. I'm getting low enough, enabling full range of motion, hip is in same angle as the knee. When I do 5 reps, first 1-2 reps may stay a bit too high but the last 3 reps go down enough, in my opinion, you can judge me by the video :) Last time I did front squats, the max kilos I put on the bar were 70kg. Today I took 5-rep sets starting from 60 + 60, adding it to 70+70, had enough courage to add it up to 80  and finally I figured I must take 90kg as well. It felt very good and I think I didn't utilize my potential to my max. These were all 5-rep sets, I'm not even after my ultimate 1-rep max. Very happy with today's strength training!


Wod. 40-30-20-10 reps

  • Kettlebell
  • Wall ball
  • Box

Friday's wod activated mostly lower back muscles, legs and shoulders. It was a four round circuit (40-30-20-10) of three moves: kettlebell (20kg), "wall ball" modified to 15kg weight, box jumping. Box height was way too low, it barely touched my knee as I measured it but there were no other options at our gym. Anyway, a total of 100 reps each. Time was 10.36. I managed to fight through the first round of 40 reps unbroken. At the second round kb rolled through nicely but "wall ball" went in two attempts of 15+15. Box jumps were easy as the target was quite low. Third round same thing, kb and box unbroken but wall ball in two sets 10+10 as my shoulders started to feel tired. Fourth round was easy because of only 10 reps each. Even though it may sound an easy wod, I'm telling you I was out of the game for several minutes after 10.36... It was rough on respiration because all moves burdened my breathing a lot. Shoulders considered it heavy, which caused the wall ball to break in second and third round. Tough one in my opinion :) Try it out!

After some heavy breathing I decided to take a short exercise in the end by 5 pull-ups + 5 dips, 4 rounds. Just taking it easy, letting my body remember what those moves are all about. It feels I haven't done those for a while. I just might take this short 20+20 set in the end of my training in the future.

Afternoon training. This was not planned beforehand but it felt awesome so I had to take advantage of the situation. I took a visit to my in-laws for dinner and some car washing. It was a perfect weather at their place as we washed a car so I decided to take approximately one hour handstand skills training at their lawn. I haven't practiced enough of this so I was very happy to have had the opportunity to advance in handstand training. At few times I achieved a stable and steady position for a few seconds so I really think I got forward with this as well and now I have more courage to try it out. Very successful day!!!



2 comments:

  1. Who is that athletic on the right side? Could the car be any cleaner...;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That guy on the right side looks to be a real stud :)
    Lilli hasn't been that clean in years! Thanks a lot for helping!

    ReplyDelete