Monday, August 13, 2012

Monday 13.8: Back squats + wod

Monday. Strength: back squats 5 x 5, max 110kg. Rest 5min. Wod: 7-14-21, thrusters (40kg) + burpees + double-unders. Time 11.31.

I've looked quite a number of videos of overhead squats and snatches. I'm keen on learning that technic. First I'll have to take clean technic in control. Then I can proceed to overhead squats and snatches. I've taken overhead squats into my warm-up to familiarize my body to that move. However, today's strength training was all about back squats. I've lifted 130kg before but I don't count those at all because I haven't had the balls to lower myself enough. Today we didn't allow any exceptions with Toni but demanded each other to get down to 90 degrees. My sets were 80+90+100+110+100 with 5 reps each. I'm very satisfied with the development gained today! My personal weight is 75kg so I'm happy with this one.

Toni with 100kg on the bar

Metcon. Today's wod included thrusters with 40kg, burpees and double unders. Toni hasn't practiced double-unders before so he modified it to single-unders, doing them double the normal amount. Three rounds 7-14-21. That means 7 thrusters, 7 burpees, 7 double-unders, sencond round 14 reps each, third round 21 reps each. In the final round, Toni did thrusters as pure push presses without squats. Toni stopped at 11.27, my final time was 11.31. First round, not bad, all unbroken, not too heavy, good confidence level and it was rolling nicely. I did jumping rope with the rhythm double-under - single-under, every other jump is a double-under.

Second round brought the fight. Thrusters went something like 7-7, burpees started to feel heavy when doing push-ups but still ok. Double-unders took a lot of time. I noticed that I was way ahead of Toni when transferring to du's. It was the same situation as previously when I completed these jump rope exercises. I lost concentration which caused me to stumble. I had to try a few times to get it going. I could do something like 3-4 double-unders, then stumble for a while, then get another few reps. Toni caught me on this one and once again we transferred to thrusters about the same time. Third round was a huge battle. Definitely not unbroken, thrusters were around 4-5 reps unbroken, then a small pause and another 4-5 reps, burpees were slow and focus was somewhere else than at the gym when doing double-unders. It was a huge victory when finishing at 11.31. Thrusters were a killer for my shoulders, burpees and jump ropes were a pain for respiration. I have to introduce double-unders in my warm-up continuously to get familiar with it.


There is going to be 1.5h floorball team practice in the evening. Season is about to start soon, tomorrow is the first preseason game.

No comments:

Post a Comment