Friday, September 28, 2012

Friday 28.9: Press day + tabata (videos)

Friday. Press day. Strength training for push press 3x3 (max 65kg PR), shoulder press 3x3 (max 50kg PR) and 3x3 bench press (max 75kg PR). Wod Tabata push press for 40kg and tabata burpees.

Huh, what an awesome training day!!! I was working out with Toni, 7.30am at the gym, ready for heavy pressing. I haven't been able to go for shoulders for a while because of that handstand incident. On Monday it was the first day for a while I didn't feel any pain so I was hopeful there could ba a chance I could try it out this week. Today seemed to be a perfect day for upper body workout since I had put pressure on the lower body and yesterday was a game in the evening. Toni was very pumped up about going for bench press today, a new movement for both of us. He has done it some years back more fiercely but not in the near past.



Strength. Three press movements for strength training.
Push press 3x3 (55+60+ PR 65kg). Toni did the same weights.
Shoulder press 3x3 (45+50+ PR 50kg). Toni went for 45+50+55kg.
Bench press 3x3 (60+70+PR 75kg). Toni did the same weights.

I had never even tested anything more than 60kg for push press so it was about time to go for it. We lifted it up to 65kg which is my new personal record, Toni came along with the same weights and left a bit in the storage for shoulder press and bench press. He has lifted 70kg before so this was not his limit. It felt very good to give some pressure for the shoulders after a short pause.



Almost every time I've done shoulder strength training, I've gone for push press and not shoulder press practically at all. Same with Toni, we have concentrated in push press, clean & jerk and thrusters but not old school shoulder press. So advertising my PR is more like a statistical thing at the moment. I'll definitely add shoulder press to my future training together with push press. Anyway, the current top result for me is 50kg. The first time I took it up, I was able to do only 1.5 rep. The second time I took 2.5reps. Only at the third attempt I was able to lift the bar all three times. It was a good struggle. Toni upgraded the weights with 5kg up to 55kg for 3-rep sets.

How about the bench press? For some reason it felt awesome! we were both in chills after the workout. It was a totally new thing for me and I enjoyed it a lot. Considering I've never done anything more than warm-up with bench press I was thrilled to get my body weight up at the first time. 3-rep sets for 60, 70 and 75 kilos. Toni was also making it look easy and I'm sure his max reps are beyond this point currently. Anyway we had quite a number of reps by far and there was a Tabata wod ahead of us.



Tabata. Tommi 3 push press, 6 burpees. Toni 3 push press, 4 burpees.
  • Tommi
  • Push press 40kg, 45 reps (9+8+8+8+6+4+5+3)
  • Burpee, 36 reps (6+6+6+6+6+6+6+6)

  • Toni
  • Push press 40kg, 30 reps (3+5+5+4+3+4+3+3)
  • Burpee, 35 reps (5+5+5+4+4+4+4+4)

As for counting the results for Tabata workout, my weakest push press set was 3 reps, so was Toni's. For burpees, I had a steady performance with 6 reps each round, Toni's weakest set was 4 reps. However, I also prefer to count the total amount of reps. I had 45 presses and 36 burpees, Toni completed 30 presses and 35 burpees. At some point my legs were cramping with the push presses. The first four rounds were a stable result with 8+ reps each round. From then on I had some problems with shoulders feeling numb. I had to do a lot of leg work. From the video I noticed I was almost jumping at some point to force the bar go to the ceiling. I saw Toni doing similar moves. We didn't count all reps if they were inches away from full extension.




I'm happy with my current burpees as I'm not all spaghetti after few reps but I can go further with them. I'm definitely going to keep them on the schedule on a regular basis. Good general movement and it develops the metabolic conditioning surely. Toni found it difficult to go for push presses right after burpees but was able to improve in the following rounds, ranging between 3-5 reps. He also had a steady performance with burpees with 4-5 reps each round.

This was a spectacular day of training. We were excited the entire day and full of energy for several hours after the workout :)

6 comments:

  1. You'll see the rest of the videos in my Youtube channel. The link is on the right hand side of the page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was really nice work! I was really exhausted during push presses. Burbees were more like a recovery :-). Let's do bench press again soon. Ps. To be precice my pr in push press is 72.5 kg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damned, sorry for that PR flaw, man! Yep, I'll do some scheduling for October during the weekend so I'll put more presses than before. We'll come back to that later on

    ReplyDelete
  4. Futistähti :D You've done a good job with the video, I think someone is in love with his new Mac ;) So do you both agree that it's more challenging to do this tabata in the order that Toni did (first burbees and then push presses)?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, yep I'm far away from "futistähti" (=soccer star), I got that T-shirt at some sports event =)
    I don't know, the order of the movements may have been tougher on Toni as you come to think about it. Push press went good for the first four rounds for me, the last four rounds were a struggle. However, my burpees were easy if you can say so. I could've gone further and do more rounds with the same pace.

    So its hard to say if those burpees in the beginning would have made it more difficult for me with the push presses. I have finally learnt a technique for burpees that doesn't burden me that much. So I say with confidence that I would have completed the same amount of presses in the other order or at least close =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I'm sure it'a also personal and depending on one's strengths and weaknesses. However, I know that you're strong in both :)

    ReplyDelete