Monday, September 17, 2012

Monday 17.9: hurdles + wod


Monday. A lot of hurdle walkovers, hurdle jumps + wod: 5 rounds of burpees and sit-ups.

My gym was supposed to be closed for three days (Mon-Wed) for renovation so I had other plans for today's practice. However, the renovation was postponed to Thu-Fri but I still decided to go for the original plan. I headed to Eläintarhan kenttä, also known as Eltsu, track field in Helsinki where Finnish athletes have set more world records than anywhere else, total of 14 WRs. The place is phenomenal, I went there a couple of times last summer, the training possibilities are just perfect.

Hurdles. The reason why I went there was because I wanted to increase my elasticity in my hip flexors. I don't know the exact english terms but the main point is that I don't want to feel that stiffness around my upper legs. I need them to stretch more so that for example when I squat my hip area doesn't restrict the movement. That's the reason why I wanted to do some hurdle training. Awesome training for mobility! Anyway, for starters I ran 1.2km, took some warm-up and then moved to 10 min double unders skills training. I have my jump rope with me where ever I go. Then to hurdles


  • 24x8 reps, hurdle walkovers
  • 14x8 reps, hurdle jumps
  • 24 reps, Jump over a hurdle and sprint 10m


My body thanks me for this decision. I was close to drive back to the gym and do some heavy back squats in the evening. I'm happy I went for different kind of training today and maybe got some good results for elasticity. I do stretching pretty much every evening at home but this type of training really gives mobility a different kind of meaning. There were a lot of reps. I lined up 8 hurdles after each other so that I could walk over 8 hurdles in a row, then walk back and repeat the 8 step walk. I took them in different style of steps.

After 24x8 (about 200 reps) I gave some space between the hurdles and began to jump over them in sets of 8 jumps, then walk back and repeat it, over and over again. I really felt the efficiency of this training after some jumping. My joints were much more loose, in a positive way. The further I went, the easier it became. At the end, the stiffness was totally gone. Total of about 100+ jumps.

The grande finale was to jump over one hurdle and take a 10m sprint, then roll back to start line, total of 24 reps of jump & sprint. This was a good variation to my daily routine. I believe this type of training would highly increase my mobility and quickness in running. Here's one random video from youtube to give some light in the issue =)



Wod. 5 rounds of:

  • 15 burpees
  • 20 sit-ups


Because by heart I'm a crossfitter, I was forced to take a short workout to the end =) 15 burpees and 20 sit-ups for five rounds. I've been ignoring burpees (as well as thrusters) for some time so it was about time to go for them! I watched Carl Paoli from www.gymnasticswod.com do some burpees a while ago and tried to listen his advice on the matter. At least I was faster than normally, didn't gas out that fast and was able to maintain my legs together and thus a good posture all the way through the workout. There was a total of 75 burpees and 100 sit-ups, good quick workout.


No comments:

Post a Comment