Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Wednesday 12.9: Back squats + wod

Wednesday. Strength back squat 5x5 (max 105kg). Wod back squat + DU + K2E
I did some mental work yesterday as I had skipped my squat training on Monday because my body wasn’t that receptive then. It has been knocking on the back of my head that I must do that back squat training this week at some point. On Monday I skipped it totally and went for a wod instead. I prepared myself in the evening and went to bed earlier and woke up fresh today so that my body would be better equipped with to do back squats as strength training. Good breakfast, head to the gym, warm-up longer than normally, 20+ minutes. After some squats with lighter weights I knew this day would be a good day for squatting =)

Strength. 5x5 (90+90+95+100+105kg)

And it felt good! For starters I took some sets of 40 / 50 / 60 / 80kg sets to get my legs familiar with weight lifting. Then for sets of 5 repetitions: 90 + 90 + 95, adding it to 100 and finally 105kg. I really felt I could have gone for more but I saved it for later. Why? Because I don't think it would have been wise to go after heavier kilos because there had already been quite a bunch of reps and back squats were included in my wod as well. All in all there were about 80 squats with various weights today...

I concentrated in going deep enough and my legs were flexible, that was promising. Next time I’m planning to add some kilos and try to remember proper planning and warm-up, that was the key to success for today's morning training.


Wod. Back squats, double unders and knees-to-elbows . I didn’t time this wod. 5 rounds of:
  • 6 back squats (50kg)
  • 20 DU
  • 10 K2E

Yep, could have gone for 30 DUs and 15 K2E per round. The back squat was obviously rather light. The purpose was, after all, just to give some pressure for the legs but not too much because there were quite a number of reps. Still, I could have had it around 60-70kg. I’m so proud that my double unders are going so well at the moment, 100 reps and it wasn’t any kind of an issue =) How about knees-to-elbows? I had that swinging problem some time ago, which is gone nowadays. I found the rhythm one day and I can keep the movement continuous. I’m hoping to find that same logicality for toes-to-bar. Anyway, the movement itself wasn’t a problem, but in the last round or two rounds my grip began to slip a bit. I made them unbroken but I remember having some slipping there.


Toni decided to go after cleans, max about 70kg. After that he did a workout consisting of thrusters (45kg) and rowing, with the amount of reps and distance getting smaller by each round. Kind of a modified version of the crossfit.com's workout of the day.
  • 20 thrusters
  • 500m row
  • 10 thrusters
  • 400m row
  • 5 thrusters
  • 300m row

Combination of thrusters and rowing can really make a man hunt after proper breathing, and Toni was no exception =)

12 comments:

  1. Sorry but i had only 40 kg :). Time was 9.09. This was nice workout

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't sure how much you took up in cleans but I guess 70kg is about close to the truth?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry but i had only 40 kg :). Time was 9.09. This was nice workout

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry but i had only 40 kg :). Time was 9.09. This was nice workout

    ReplyDelete
  5. I meant your strength training with cleans

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry but i had only 40 kg :). Time was 9.09. This was nice workout

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry but i had only 40 kg :). Time was 9.09. This was nice workout

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tommi, I think this is the way you (and I) should work out with your pull ups in the future :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bioxwvcc72k&feature=fvwrel

    By the way, what's the situation with your muscle-ups nowadays? Have you tired? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep you're so light that it could be possible ;)

      Muscle ups, damned, haven't even tried them. At the gym it's impossible to do them because the roof and lamps are blocking the space. Even kipping is hard due to the wall's near proximity.

      I must go to that park close to our home to practicr them, definitely!

      Delete
  9. You have to do that! You've worked so hard with your shoulders that I think it's totally different now :)

    ReplyDelete