Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Wednesday 19.9: DU skills + burpees + sit-ups

Wednesday. Previous rest day was on Thursday and there has been quite a number of workouts since then so this morning was definitely going to be free from strength training. My legs are nicely jammed because of yesterday’s back squats and running for Griff, then again my upper body is relaxed and ready to go for it but my elbows / right shoulder is not in perfect condition so I wasn’t about to give too much burden for them. That’s why I wanted to concentrate today in metabolic conditioning, a.k.a metcon type of training.

DU skills. This is just a pleasure =) I like them, a lot. And once I’ve understood how they should be completed, it’s not an issue anymore. This morning I took sets of 10-20 mostly, once I went to 30reps. It’s so awesome to notice that I can do so many of them in such a short period of time. I feel awkward writing about double unders pretty much every day but I’m just so pumped up about witnessing the development =)

After double unders I did all kinds of movements without clear idea what to do. I just wanted to get my heart racing without giving too much pressure on my legs. I was so eager to do Angie, I’ve had that in mind for some time and since it was yesterday’s workout at the main site, I really wanted to go for it.
  • 100 pull-ups
  • 100 push-ups
  • 100 sit-ups
  • 100 squats

Still, I listened to myself and told that there is no point in doing 100 pull-ups with a slightly sore elbow and shoulder. It would have been the most stupid decision to go for Angie. So I wanted to practice for my burpees as I have kind of forgotten to do them in September, not on purpose but there's just so much other movements to be practiced. I’ve learned some technical issues for burpees from gymnasticswod.com, the way Carl Paoli talks and demonstrates burpees has really given me more skills to do them more efficiently, faster and without exhausting as much as before. I highly recommend visiting the site. Today I got Toni to make 4 rounds of burpees and sit-ups with me, not for time but for quality.
  • 20 burpees
  • 25 sit-ups
  • 20 burpees
  • 25 sit-ups
  • 30 burpees
  • 30 sit-ups
  • 30 burpees
  • 30 sit-ups

There were at least 100 reps for both movements, I had some sit-ups prior to this workout. All in all, this was a good way to practice for burpees. For starters we took some of them in slow motion to get the technique in place and think about all those steps and how to do them most efficiently. For the actual workout, I went as fast as I could for both burpees and sit-ups and I was happy to see I didn’t have similar problems for burpees as for let’s say two months ago with my old style. My keeping my legs together, I can generate more power and explosiveness from my hip and use some sort of kipping technique. I realized I don’t have to use as much energy and power to do one rep. And once the repetitions go larger, each saving in energy is highly valuable.


Toni went for the same burpee / sit-up workout after his strength training. There was also clear improvement in his burpees, we are in the verge of good development in some skills related movements for him, both double unders and burpees. For starters this fellow went for cleans as strength training, 5 reps for 55kg + 60kg, then 3 reps for 65kg and 70kg, 1 rep for his new PR 75kg, increase of 5kg to previous personal record, well done. Once you get the explosiveness, you’ll easily go for 80+, no doubt about it!

In the evening I’ll concentrate on floorball, team practice for 1.5 hours, and stop some quality shots =)


No comments:

Post a Comment