Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Wednesday 26.9: Deadlift + skills (video)

Wednesday. Deadlift 6x3 (max 145kg, PR) + double under skills training.

Toni met me at the local gym 7.30 in the morning, ready to go for some serious deadlift action. Warm-up included the regular rowing session, squats to open the lower body area, playing with the pvc pipe to open up upper body as well as some stretching. Naturally jump rope was part of the starting up process. Today we skipped metcon, concentration was purely on strength today. The cooling down part focused on DU skills for some time and finally some pull-ups and dips. More time was dedicated to openers and stretching than normally. I was happy there is no pain in my shoulder anymore, at least I haven’t felt that yesterday nor today.

warming up


Strength. Deadlift 6x3 (100+120+130+135+140+ PR 145kg). Toni went for 4x3 (100+120+130+110kg).

My strength level has clearly grown lately. As I remember the time one month back, the weights feel lighter than previously. Naturally, this should be the case but it’s awesome to actually witness the development myself. Today’s max for 3 rep set was 145kg. This indicates that more could’ve come up but that was anyway a new personal record and I wanted to go for three reps, not for singles. I had already gone for 5 sets of 3 reps prior to the PR attempt so I didn’t want to push it further with heavier kilos. I was very pleased for these results today. Toni’s previous PR is 140kg, today he went for 100-130kg so there might have been some room to upgrade the kilos but it was a wise decision to concentrate more on the technique rather than pushing forward just for the sake of getting more kilos up. I give him credit for that. This is anyway rather new movement for him, as well as for me, so it was a good call Toni.


At the end we went for double under skills training, plus some pull-ups and dips. Not a metcon style of practicing but just reminding our bodies how these movements are done and get the heart beat slightly faster. I was very happy that I was able to go for pull-ups once again. There has been a break since I last did those because of the soreness in my elbows / right shoulder. Now, these issues seem to be in the past and I hope I can integrate pull-ups back in to my workouts. In the evening I’m going to practice with my team some floorball, 1.5h team training.

Toni, dips

Here are my “snacks” for the day in addition to my 11.00 lunch. Two curds (Ehrmann), risifrutti (porridge with jelly), cottage cheese, banana, recovery drink and Italian stew for second lunch. My floorball practice begins at 18.00 so these are pretty much gone before that. After training I’ll prepare the third meal of the day. I seem to be hungry all the time =)



3 comments:

  1. This was a good day. I'm starting to really like these morning workouts. It gives enormous amount of energy. Just have to make sure that nutrition is taken care of. It was a good decision to skip wod so tomorrow I'm able to do two wods :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same feeling. When we started these morning workouts, it was extremely difficult to get any positive feedback from the body. It wasn't that receptive to the workouts, especially the strength trainings were sometimes a battle. However, as we continued to believe a change is coming, it's not an issue anymore to wake up 1.5h earlier than on a normal work day and hit the gym.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, I did a workout by myself before the training, consisting of sit-ups, squats and back extensions, about 100 each. Additionally I dared to try the inverted position for handstand hold =) I missed it so I wanted to go for it. I had my doubts because of my shoulder but it felt good. It was actually pretty awesome to handstand.

    After the workout, coach held a circuit training session for the entire team, more squats, lunges, abs and back extensions... At least I've my share for today's training.

    ReplyDelete