Friday, October 19, 2012

Friday 19.10: Front squat + metcon

Friday. Front squats 5x3 (max 107.5kg PR), metcon consisting of back / front / overhead squats plus pull-ups, ring dips and ring push-ups.

Toni's workouts did their purpose
All focus on squats. My start for this day wasn’t the best possible. I was quite tired when I woke up, my fridge was empty and it was difficult to find a proper breakfast and I didn’t stretch yesterday evening so my hips were a bit jammed. I somehow started my engines, headed to gym and found out that my warm-up had to be different this time as the rowing machine was taken. Maybe not the best possible starting point as I seem to be a slave of my habits. Anyway, I continued through, got myself together, concentrated in doing reps in good form, Toni and Joni soon joined me and we made history. Personal record in front squats, awesome!

Strength. Front squat 5x3 (90+100+102.5+105+ PR 107.5kg)

All of my front squat warm-ups were smooth and it felt good from the very beginning. I had decided to take some reps with lighter weights and start doing heavier from 90kg. It was feather light with 90 so I put 10 more kilos. From there one I added 2.5kg each round, finally taking my personal record with 107.5kg. And I consider my form stayed good, I went deep enough and it wasn't the max I could have gone today. I took all three reps clean and nice. I'm proud of this one =)


Metcon. Squats, pull-ups, ring dips and ring push-ups
  • 30 back squats (60kg)
  • Max pull-ups (15)
  • 20 front squats (50kg)
  • Max ring dips (10)
  • 10 overhead squats (40kg)
  • Max ring push-ups (20)
My legs were smashed from the workout and actually my upper body was quite tired as well. I pushed through this workout but my result wasn't that good. I could have done better some other time, definitely. The idea was to do 30 back squats (60kg), then do as many pull-ups as possible, I managed to for 15 reps. Then I took 10kg off and took 20 front squats. Then I did max reps of ring dips, only 10 reps as my result. Finally 10 overhead squats with 40kg was supposed to be done. I took one rep, after which it came unbearable. I dropped the bar at the second rep, no count. I tried it third time, same result. I just couldn't keep the bar even steady over my head so it was impossible to do those overhead squats. I skipped that one and finally took 20 ring push-ups. I was disappointed I couldn't finish the overhead squats at all. On Wednesday it wasn't a problem at all to do ohs with same kilos. Today it was the burden my legs had taken before and upper body fatigue that wrote my destiny. Still, I was all smile during the day because my strength training went so damned good!

Toni's workouts.  Deadlift (105kg), bench press (65kg): 10-8-6-4-2. Time 5.50
  • Tabata double unders
  • Tabata hand release push-ups
Toni did the same workout I did Monday, only the kilos were different. He took 105kg deadlift and 65kg bench press. 10 reps of deadlift, 10 presses, 8 reps of deadlift, 8 presses etc. His time 5.50. Deadlifts went ok for the first round, then his form kind of betrayed him and back arched, sets went broken, it was a bit of a struggle. However, his bench presses looked good and easy. He really pushed them well, all sets unbroken, without problems. I think there could have been more kilos on the bar and he still could have taken it up unbroken.

He wrapped the day with two Tabata style workouts: double unders and hand release push-ups.
  • Tabata double unders 10+10+5+1+10+5+15+5 = 61 reps in total. Result 1 reps
  • Tabata hand release push-ups 7+7+6+4+4+4+4+2 = 38 reps in total. Result 2 reps
Toni concentrating in deadlift technique

Joni took a set consisting of thrusters and burpees. Time was somewhere around 12 min. You will see both Toni's and Joni's workouts from today at my Youtube channel, the link is on the upper right corner of the page. I thought Joni had 40kg at the barbell but from the video it looks like there's little plates at the end as well so I figure it's 42.5kg.

  • 21-15-9
  • Thrusters (40 or 42.5kg)
  • Burpees


No comments:

Post a Comment