Friday, October 5, 2012

Friday 6.10: Front squat + skills

Friday. Front squat 4x5 (max 105kg PR). Skills training for headstand, handstand, double unders.

Once in a while my brother has the opportunity to come train with me at my box, today was another such day. I look up to him for his training attitude and it's always a great deal for me to get a chance to work out with him.



Strength. Front squat 4x5 (80+90+95+100kg, in addition 102.5kg x 3 and 105kg x 1 PR). Sipa took deadlifts as 10 minute on the minute: 5 deadlifts (120kg).

I think it's been three weeks since last front squats so it was about time. I've tried to include them in every week's schedule but for some reason my calendar shows it's been a while. This is probably my favorite movement, I feel fairly confident when going down that I can lift it up no matter how much I pile up the kilos. I'm actually quite proud of the amount of weights I can front squat. Today I took sets of 5 for 80, 90, 95 and 100kg. As it was moving well, I wanted to max out. I took 3 reps with my previous PR 102.5kg and wanted to test the 105kg as well. I took it once, on the second rep my technique collapsed and I couldn't bring it back up. However, on the first rep I managed to keep it together in a similar way as with around 100kg weights. Progress!

Front squat, 105kg

Sipa took deadlift as strength training and used a method as: "10 minute on the minute". He put 120kg on the barbell and the idea is to go for 5 reps on each minute for ten minutes. Start timing, do 5 reps immediately, rest until one minute is up, then do another 5 reps and chill out the rest of the minute. Continue for total of 10 rounds. All in all, there are 50 reps in 10 minutes, this time he did it with 120kg. He managed to keep a steady pace with the reps, it took about 10-15 seconds each round to do those needed reps. His technique also kept well, even with enormous amount of total weights (6.000kg during the workout). My lower back was awfully junked up for 2-3 days after Tuesday's heavy deadlifting. That day I took somewhere around 8.000kg up with deadlifts during strength training and the metcon.



Skills. For cooling down we wanted to utilize the chance to workout together and solve each other's technical problems so we took some skills training for headstand and handstand, did some rollovers from those positions and took few reps of handstand push-ups. Sipa also taught me some technique for chest-to-bar pull-ups, I haven't got it by far, now I'm one step closer. It was a good day of training, PR, awesome training partner and skills training in the end.

It was a pity we didn't have enough time, I certainly would have liked to go for this metcon. I have had this plan for quite a while now so the eagerness is growing towards this! Some day...


  • 5 rounds of:
  • 20m walking lunges with 42.5kg bar in the front rack position
  • 30 double unders


Toni has returned from his mini vacation and is back for action tomorrow. Let's hope he is ready for some heavy training!

No comments:

Post a Comment