Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Tuesday 16.10: Thrusters + metcon

Tuesday. Morning: Thrusters 5x5 (max 65kg), metcon 21-15-9 thrusters (42.5kg) + K2E. Evening: Room service, time 7.08.


Rogue - Your gear has arrived

Thrusters are tough: clean, front squat and push press in one package, one continuous movement. That was my agenda for today. A lot of repetitions, strength and metcon had the same elements. I still don’t have a proper timer so it was a pity I couldn’t time my workout of the day. I really wanted the time for this one. After work I wanted to take a short workout, not too heavy so that I would be ready for tomorrow morning's training. Toni put his clock running so we got times for both of us.

Strength. Thrusters 5x5 (50+55+60+62,5+65kg). The number of kilos that went up was a pleasant surprise! I took five sets of thrusters, starting from 50kg, going up to 65kg. If you think about it, my previous maxes are 67.5kg for cleans and 65 for push presses, so completing 65kg thrusters was pretty ok. My last set was four reps, impressive feeling after the set. I was proud of myself after the training. Still I wanted to do a workout including thrusters with Fran’s weights. I changed pull-ups to K2Es. I wonder why I haven’t taken thrusters before like this. It is a bad ass movement but it’s worth doing them once in a while. It's such a whole body movement there's no other like it.

Thrusters 65kg

Metcon. Workout included thrusters with 42.5kg and K2Es. I didn’t have a timer. Around 4-5 minutes I'd say.
  • 21-15-9
  • Thrusters
  • Knees to elbows
First round I went unbroken with both thrusters and knees to elbows. Second round my thrusters broke down and I moved on in sets of 10+5. Knees to elbows were unbroken each round. Third round of thrusters went in 7+2 reps. I tried to push it through unbroken but my eight rep didn’t go all the way so I didn’t count it and did the last two reps after dropping the bar and getting myself together. I was so wasted after the workout and my forearms were burning. The feeling was quite the same as after Fran. I had those thrusters as my strength training beforehand so there were a number of reps in total during this session. This day proved something to me. I have more potential in me than my current figures show. This gave me confidence boost and I'm planning to put more kilos to the bar next time with cleans and presses.

Toni was also at the gym, as well as Joni. Toni went for cleans and Joni was all for back squats. Toni's max set was 75kg, two times singles. Joni did 10 rounds of 5 back squats, I recall it was 90kg each time, concentrating in quantity.

Toni's metcon was a 10 min am rap of the following:
  • 10min amrap of
  • 20 double unders
  • 5 dips
  • 5 ring push-ups
His result was 4 total rounds plus 20 DUs and 5 dips. Total of 100 DUs, 25 dips and 20 ring push-ups.



Room service. Quick workout, 100 reps of three movements. Time 7.08, Toni's time 12.08.
  • 20 rounds of
  • 5 push-ups
  • 5 squats
  • 5 sit-ups
I don't recommend this workout to anyone who has done crossfit for more than a month. It's continuous transition as the amount of reps is so low all the time during the workout, only 5 reps and change, 60 transitions during 7 minutes... Did I count it right? :) And it basically doesn't make you burn in any of the movements. The only reason I did it was that Toni has done it a few times and he wanted to know what my time would be doing it. He said I wouldn't go under 10 minutes so of course I had to give my everything. Final time 7.08. Yesterday I did bench press so my chest was pretty tight from the very beginning, even though stretching in the evening. However, the amount of reps in this metcon was low so it didn't bother that much. I did some rowing in the beginning and for cooling down, also some mobility at the end.

Toni, would you state your feelings from the day. And the room service? ;)
I'll throw in the complete tuned video of your 10min amrap later in the evening.

2 comments:

  1. Yes. There are a lot of transitions...maybe too much. My shoulders disagree, they were screaming when I was driving home.

    Morning workout was nice. My PR in push press is 72,5 and today I had three reps with 70 kg. Maybe next week I will go for that 75. I also had a 10 min amrap with 20du, 5 dips and 5 ring push ups. My score was 4 rounds and five dips. Tomorrow: squats (back and front)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job with the presses Toni in the morning. Check out the new video from your metcon, just finished it. I guess I still need to work on my editor's skills :) At least you get the idea what the workout was all about.

    ReplyDelete