Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Wednesday 17.10: Back squat + ohs + snatch


Wednesday. Back squat 5x3 (max 117.5kg PR), overhead squat 5x6 (max 40kg), hang snatch 4x5 (max 30kg).

Wednesday was a day for another personal record. I had decided that beforehand =) My squats have been rolling good the last days so I had in mind to push my limits forward. I was confident it was going to happen for sure. After squats I skipped a hard core metcon and concentrated in getting better in my overhead squats and took a first real touch to snatches. Weights were rather low as these movements are very new to me. Toni accompanied me with the back squats. He’s done some thinking about what his strengths and development points are and for that reason he decided to enhance his metabolic conditioning through rowing metcon.

Strength. Back squats 5x3 (100+105+110+115+120 failed + 117,5kg). Overhead squats 5x6 (20+25+30+35+40kg), hang snatch 4x5 (20+25+30+30kg).

I did it. Sets of 3 reps, starting from 100kg, each set without compromising the form. I got greedy, my plan was to do 5x3, starting from 100kg and adding 5kg after each round, ending up to 120kg. That last set didn’t come up, I was trying to push it vigorously, the result was a few seconds static squatting position in 90 degrees but it simply didn’t come up. I didn’t want to back down so I took a 1-2 min rest, put 117.5kg on and did three reps for my new PR. How little is the difference, I’m wondering. Maybe it was psychologically harder to add extra 5kg to previous PR but those little plates at both ends of the bar didn’t make a big difference so I got my mind through and was able to lift more kilos than ever, result 3x117.5kg. My cameraman got only the third rep on the video



My mobility has improved ridiculously much. In the spring time it was a far away dream to squat with a bar overhead. I couldn’t do it even with a pvc pipe. My upper back and shoulders were so tight that there was no light at all to this matter. After doing mobility continuously, stretching and keeping hopes up the day finally came when I was able to do overhead squats and keep a rather good form. Definitely it will get better over time but I’m happy to the current state of it. I should go deeper to reach total and acceptable form. Today was the first time I put something extra on the bar. I started with only the bar, ending to 40kg.



Same happened with the snatches. I took them hang versions, bar hanging at knee level at the starting position.  First I took some high pulls to get used to the tracks and then started pulling it all the way to overhead position.  It felt good all the way. First some 20kg snatches, finally pulling up to 30kg. I must definitely take these more often as I have now lost my snatch virginity =)



Toni’s workouts. Back squat 5x3 (70+80+90+100+100kg). His metcon was rowing for 3k in three sets, 2min interval. Total time (including rest) 15.20. On average his pace was 1.53min / 500m.
  • 1.500m row
  • 2min rest
  • 1.000m row
  • 2 min rest
  • 500m row

Toni, was it a good decision to go for rowing? Any thoughts on your future program planning?


8 comments:

  1. Today my goal was to burn fat so I decided to row like a maniac. I realised today that there's some mental issues I have to deal with before I can develope to a new level. I definitely have to learn more skills like handstand push ups, snatch etc. I also have to push my self to the limits more often. When things are getting comfortable you know that you are just getting lazy :-) Tomorrow is a rest day so I will do some planning. One of the biggest goals is to lose more weight. I have lost 10kg in three months but I still have some extra kilos with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today my goal was to burn fat so I decided to row like a maniac. I realised today that there's some mental issues I have to deal with before I can develope to a new level. I definitely have to learn more skills like handstand push ups, snatch etc. I also have to push my self to the limits more often. When things are getting comfortable you know that you are just getting lazy :-) Tomorrow is a rest day so I will do some planning. One of the biggest goals is to lose more weight. I have lost 10kg in three months but I still have some extra kilos with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet you have lost weight but you have also gained muscles instead that weight more than fat. You've done a good job with your training. I'm so happy you really flipped to crossfit after your summer holiday so that we can do workouts together, encourage each other and actually have gained quite a support from the gym as well :)

    Pauliina is my nutritionist and she told me to start eating heavily from this point onwards. I'm eating three meals a day currently but I suppose my body still craves for more food and energy. Better obey the system and shovel more food inside me. Currently I'm 178cm and 76kg, aiming a few kilos up.

    I'm going to continue gaining more strength, still trying to learn new moves (for example snatch) simultaneously and learn also the gymnastics skills (handstand & muscle ups)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's right :) I found this calorie calculator based on your training activity, age, height, weight and sex and it says that Tommi should eat approx. 4000 calories a day! That's A LOT. You really need to think about it and focus to be sure to eat enough. Otherwise your body will take the energy it needs by eating up your muscles...

    Here's the link (sorry for the swedish :D)
    http://www.dietguiden.com/kalorier.php#raknare

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My extra eating process started in the morning. I took my regular breakfast (curd, müsli and raspberry soup), in addition boiled some eggs that I literally stuffed in my mouth on my way to work. A 1.2kg salmon file was also taken from the freezer so I'll put it in the oven after work. I guess that's enough for one person for a second meal of the day :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking good guys! In my opinion food is more important the training. I can tell you more next time when we will meet.

    ReplyDelete