Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Wednesday 24.10: Deadlift + row + kb

Wednesday. Deadlift 5x3 (max PR 155kg), metcon 3 rounds of 1.000m row & 20 kb swing. Time 14.55.



This was pretty awesome day, to say the least! The whole gang was at the gym. Tony the Pony, Joni and Visa as well. It was crowded today and the plates ran out as everyone were doing their strength workouts at the same time =) I took deadlifts, Toni and Joni took front squats and bench press, Visa did purely strength today and went for back squats, bench press and deadlift. My metcon was a bad ass and really made me suffer in a good way!

Strength. Deadlift 3-3-3-3-3-1 (120+130+140+145+150+ PR 155kg). Strength consisted of serious deadlifting. Luckily Visa pushed me forward to make the record, 155kg. After some lighter weights as warm-up, upto 100kg, I began my grimacing with the weights. It came "easily" for the first two or three sets, then it got extremely heavy. I still managed to pull it up with rather nice form (I think) to the end. 145 and 150kg were tough ones for sure, no surprise there. I have never tried a deadlift that hasn't come up so this time ought to be different. I took 155kg up once, probably took several seconds as it was a mental and physical battle all the way. As I landed the bar, I had used all my power that was in the storage and I didn't even go for another attempt. It would have not been possible at this stage. I felt strong today and I'm very happy I'm able to lift double my bodyweight (76kg)!




Metcon. Rowing and kettlebell swings (20kg). Time 14.55.
  • 3 rounds of
  • 1.000m row
  • 20 KB swing (20kg)
It was a mind blowing experience to combine rowing and kettlebell swings. I've done the combo in a bit different style 2.5 months back and it was a rough one then as well. I knew before the workout that it's gonna demand more mental capacity than normal metcon. And it was so true. I'm very satisfied I completed this workout with style. My pace for the rowing was 1.46/500m for the first round, 1.50 for the second round and finally 1.55 for the last round.

Kettlebells went unbroken except the last round where the handle and my hands were so wet that I had to stop swinging after 10 reps and dry my hands for two seconds. Okay, sounds like an excuse but really, it was slippery =) My forearms were extremely burnt and numb after the workout. The feeling just before hitting the third round, my forearms hurt so much I was wondering how to grab the rower's handle. My grab power was weak that it seemed very difficult to row for another 1k. Anyway, I pushed through and saw the finish line finally. Time 14.55. Happy that I combined these two and went outside the comfort zone! There was a total of 4k rowing today, 1k as warm-up and 3k in this workout. All pretty much with same speed. This is exactly what I wanted.

Toni's front squat

Toni's workouts. Toni took sets front squats 5-5-5-5-5 (max 75kg) and then bench press 3-3-3-3-3-1, maxing it out with 90kg, his new personal record! He did his metcon together with Joni. Toni's time 9.03, Joni 9.10.
  • 4 rounds of
  • 20 double unders
  • 30 squats
  • 20 sit-ups


6 comments:

  1. Crossfit took place in the morning. I just came back from our 1.5h floorball practice. I also heard we are blessed to get some kettlebell trainings from a specified coach for a few times. I happen to know the coach, he gave me some lessions last year so I'm waiting eagerly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today's workout was amazing! My front squats were perfect! :). I'm very happy about my elbows! Also happy about my result in bench press. 85 kg x 3 and 90kg x 1 after 25 reps is something that I can be proud of. 90 kg is my shared PR (last time was in 2002:)).

    What can I say about the metcon? I'm not happy about my squats but I did a new PR in du's (15 in a row without any singles). Also happy about beating Joni's ass with massive 7 second. Imagine how much you can do in 7 seconds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, those elbows finally shot up, I was pleased about that too. They could still be higher to make the squat easier by keeping the form better. You would find more power within yourself if you held them higher 'cause that makes your upper body keep straight and chest up. Anyway, it looked so much better!

    That bench press looked easy as you did it. I didn't see that last rep but those 80+ reps were easy. What did your heart feel after the metcon? Was the heart rate around 200? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, my heart was really beating. It helped a lot that Joni did the metcon at the same time. When I get my du's roll unbroken I think this metcon could be done in 7 minutes or less

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please delete those spams :-) I hate my phone

    ReplyDelete
  6. By the way, my kettlebell swings were so called American swings where the kettlebell is brought over head. Compared to maybe more traditional Russian swings where it is enough to swing the kb over the eye level.

    I haven't tried Americans before this one, the tracks of the swings are a bit different when you go higher with the swing. Some people like to lift it by keeping the kb closer to torso with arms bent compared to Russians where the kettlebell is supposed to be held with straight arms all the way.

    ReplyDelete