Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Wednesday 31.10: 30min Fry-up

Wednesday. 30min Fry-up. 732 reps, Toni 368 reps.

Today's agenda was thinking out of the box. As Toni wrote yesterday: "Tomorrow is all about cooking. If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen!"We went after a workout consisting of several movements, as many reps as possible in 30 minutes, some strength moves and some basic stuff. This was the longest amrap we've had this far. As warm-up we rowed, did regular warm-up and then lifted deadlifts and push presses with 100 and 50kg and naturally went through all the Fry-up's moves.



Fry-up. Result: 7 rounds and 22 double unders. Total of 732 reps.

  • 3 deadlift (100kg) = 24 reps
  • 7 burpee = 56 reps
  • 40 double unders = 302 reps
  • 3 push press (50kg) = 21 reps
  • 7 pull-ups = 49 reps
  • 40 squats = 280 reps


It was difficult to set a strategy beforehand as I've never done as long a wod as this was. I figured one round would take somewhere around 5 minutes so I decided to concentrate doing one round unbroken, then keep a 30sec break and move on to next round. I stuck with this plan throughout the entire half an hour. Thinking it afterwards, I shouldn't have taken those breaks necessarily after each round. I was afraid of getting totally burnt if I don't take rest periods at all in 30min. The combination of burpees and double unders got my heart, racing wildly. Other than that, my conditioning stayed good and consistent.

The deadlifts were too light. 100kg is about 60% of my max, it felt like the bar was flying up. Maybe more reps or heavier kilos would have been a wise decision. I thought about 120kg yesterday but decided on 100kg anyway. Burpees got some action in my heart even though there were just a few of them. Especially as double unders followed right after them. I'm very happy of my double unders during this workout. First round I took all 40 reps in a row. All but round number 4 went in 2x20. Only that fourth round went in 3-4 attempts. I've never been this good in double unders in a workout when fatigue crawls in. Really, these were easy, awesome!

Push presses were the most demanding movement for me today. Maybe because my shoulders have taken hit for several days in a row. Doing clean & jerks, snatches, overhead squats, pull-ups, ring dips, shoulder presses and push presses in the last four days maybe took their toll. All pull-ups went unbroken, I liked doing them and could have taken more of them. Nice to witness that pull-ups were not a struggle this time :)

Squats were the ones that burnt my hamstrings. The first rounds were not bad but then in the middle of the workout those last squats - after 30 reps - the hamstring fire came in. I pushed them through unbroken anyway. As a summary, all reps in all movements went unbroken, except from double unders which I did in 2x20reps.

Our fry-up worked well for its purpose. The point was to increase metabolic conditioning, go for a clearly longer metcon than normally and include power ingredients as well. We could have spiced it up with heavier kilos in the barbell. Next time when I go for similar type of workout, I'll strategize it more perfectly. If I could turn back time, I would keep shorter breaks between rounds. I thought I would be totally gassed after this one. However, I felt like I had something in my sleeve after the half an hour.

Toni's fry-up. Result: 6 rounds and 5 burpees. Total of 368 reps.

  • 3 deadlift (100kg) = 21 reps
  • 7 burpee = 47 reps
  • 20 double unders = 120 reps
  • 3 push press (50kg) = 18 reps
  • 7 pull-ups = 42 reps
  • 20 squats = 120 reps

Toni's deadlift

Toni took the same wod with slight modifications. Double unders and squats were 20 reps and pull-ups were assisted pull-ups. I think we felt the pressure differently on the moves. Toni experienced push presses as easy ones. Give us some insight of your thoughts chef!

Visa took another huge load up, this time deadlifting 180kg. And hey, this is his "easy week" =)


BEAST, 180kg

2 comments:

  1. For me fry-up was a hard one and delicius. 30 min amrap was something very new and exciting. I had a good energy in the morning and after good breakfast I was ready to do some serius training. Deadlifts were medium hard today. Push press was my recovery and when i did burbees I was flying :-)

    But du's...first 20 reps took time about 3 minutes and I almost started to panic. In the following rounds I was slightly better and even managed to do 17 on a row.

    Pull-ups (assisted) went pretty well. I have never done that much pull-ups in one day. Overall I'm happy with my result today and fry-up was a instant hit! I have to say that Tommi is an animal! The way you recover from workouts is something weard. Maybe you are from another planet :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Toni, appreciate it!

    This one genuinely was a workout where a lot of work needed to be done. However, there weren't overwhelming barriers for me. Maybe 60kg push presses would have needed a lot of concentration or 120kg deadlifts would have collected some taxes. All in all, I think we both liked this one and we will take a longer metcon once in a while to spice things up?

    By the way, I'm very pleased you were able to do all those pull-ups, there was a huge number of them!

    ReplyDelete