Monday, November 12, 2012

Monday 12.11: Back squats + metcon + jogging + floorball

Monday. Back squats 4-4-4-4-3-2 (max 120kg), metcon of wall climbs, ring dips and pull-ups.

We gathered at the gym in the morning 07.00 with Toni, classic morning training was ahead of us. Schedule stood back squats, in sets of four reps, go as far as possible with those sets. My goal was to go for 120kg with good form. At the end we took a pair metcon together with Toni, for quality. It consisted of wall climbs, ring dips and pull-ups. Today my 1k warm-up row took 3.33 minutes. In the evening I drove Pauliina to the airport as she flew back to Stockholm. I'll be visiting her once more and after one month she will return back home for good in December. From the airport I drove to my team's home stadium. I went jogging for 40min and then we had a 2h floorball practice. Rough day.


Strength. Back squat 4-4-4-4-3-2 (100, 107.5, 115, 120, 120, 120kg). I took a good warm-up, got my joints prepared for the upcoming workout and I was confident of reaching my goal of the wod. I took sets of 4 reps starting from three digit numbers, first 100kg, then 107.5kg, finally 115kg. Then I was able to touch the goal line, 120kg. I took 4 reps but wasn't totally satisfied with the depth of my squat. That's why I took another set of same weights, three reps came up. Finally I still wanted the same bar to come up, managed to go for two reps. This was a good session, very pleased actually. Doing 9 reps of 120kg is good for me, I really felt I did something good today!

Going for 120kg, 3 times

Toni also did back squats, went up to 105kg with 4 rep sets, here is a sample of his 90kg set.

4 reps of 90kg, Toni

Metcon. Five rounds of the following movements, pair wod, for quality.
  • 5 rounds of:
  • 3/3 wall climbs
  • 6/3 ring dips
  • 9/3 pull-ups
Ring dips
We both wanted to go for these movements so we did it a bit differently this time. We made it into a pair wod for quality, the other one rests while the other one performs. I took reps of 3 wall climbs, 6 ring dips and 9 pull-ups each round, Toni took 3 reps each movement. Toni started with three climbs on the wall and I continued immediately when he was ready. After I finished he did 3 ring dips and I rested. Immediately after he did his third dip I did my 6 reps. So the only time we had rest time was the period the other was performing. We rolled through all five rounds so there was a total of 15 wall climbs, 30 ring dips and 45 pull-ups. Toni's total was 15 each.

Wall climbs, Toni
My energy level was huge entering this workout so this was an easy one, all sets unbroken and easy as well, wall climbs were lighter than ever before. I thought those pull-ups might get heavier but they were also easy each round. Definitely a positive sign of development. Toni also did all wall climbs and pull-ups unbroken if I remember correct but those ring dips were broken in some of the sets.

Wall climbs, 3 reps

I got a good feeling of today's workouts. First of all, the heavy back squats succeeded and I got a lot of reps with heavy bar on my back. 4-rep sets over 100 kilos and numerous reps with 120kg. And the metcon in the end was smooth from the beginning to the end.

Jogging and floorball. In the evening I went jogging before our floorball practice. I was at the stadium over one hour prior to the starting time so I had no rush, I took it easy, just wanted to go running as I haven't done that for a while. I've taken care of my metabolic condition through rowing, metcons and floorball. It would be wise to go running once in a while. During summer I did it more often. This was a good day of practicing, now I'll concentrate in eating =) After I started eating more, I've gained about 2 kilos in weight, and I've been eating under the instructions of my own nutritionist, Pauliina :) She's the best trainer for me in this section, she's been taking care of eating the correct foods, balancing between carbs, proteins and fibers. Thanks a lot for that!


4 comments:

  1. It feels like you have speeded up the last video with wall climbs... What a monkey you are, seems so effortless :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. my climbs were filmed in slow motion :).

    Yesterday was a good day. I really enjoyed my squats. My form has improved a lot in last few weeks(good job Tony!). Wall climbs <3 are my new favorite. I'm definitely doing them in future as well. My ring dips were also rolling and I was able to do 3 reps in a row. Few weeks ago I was only able to do one proper ring dip so once again hurray for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh, even if it may seem like a speeded up version, Toni's heavy breathing behind the camera tells the truth ;)

    There's another video of wall climbs in the Youtube channel. I put the camera on the bench: Toni did his wall climbs and I did mine right after him. The only problem was that Toni sat in front of the camera when he was ready. So half of the video is focusing on his ass =) Thanks man!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No but seriously I like that you Toni have moved on to new movements such as wall climbs. And you got the point already on the second attempt. This is a tough one for the shoulders and respiration so it's awesome you fell in love with it instantly.

    ReplyDelete