Monday, November 5, 2012

Monday 5.11: thrusters + metcon

Monday. Thrusters 5x3 (max 70kg), metcon of snatches and lunges.

Again at the gym, with Pauliina. She put effort on her shoulders and abs, I wanted to go for thrusters, snatches, legs and metabolic conditioning. I took thrusters as my strength exercise and then did a workout where snatches and lunges were included. Toni went to the gym in the morning and did squats and a workout after that.

Strength. Thrusters 3-3-3-3-3 (50, 60, 65, 70, 70kg). This workout shows me I'm ready to increase the load next time for clean and presses. My standing max for both clean and push press is 70kg, today I did 2x3 thrusters with those same weights. It wasn't light, for sure it weighted a lot but I managed to go for two times 3 reps. The front squat part was the easy one for me, that was quite light actually. It's nice to see the shoulders getting stronger in crossfit even without targeting them precisely. So many movements are strengthening the athlete's overall conditioning and shoulders are activated continuously.



Metcon. Snatches and lunges for 14 minutes

  • For 14 minutes:
  • Odd minutes: 6 snatches, increase load after sets (20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 40, 40kg)
  • Even minutes: 20 lunges, alternating legs

This workout goes so that on the first minute you do snatches, on the second minute lunges, third minute snatches, fourth minute lunges etc. Increase load on the snatches after each set.

I took some snatches just to practice the technique, then decided to go for a metcon consisting of snatches and also lunges. Two movements, on odd minutes I took 6 snatches and the idea was to increase the load after each set so that you're able to increase it until the last round. On even minutes do 20 lunges, I was thinking about doing them with dumbbells and increase the load correlating. However, it would have been a mess to run around the gym and change the dumbbells all the time. So I skipped the db's and did regular lunges.

The first rounds of snatches were easy, until 35 kilos. Then I began to feel the pressure on those. I planned to do this for 12 minutes but wanted to go for one extra round in the end as I just loved the snatches, even though they were very tough at the end. I think I'll take snatches as strength move some day in the near future, I like these and want to develop in them, a lot!

Each of these movements took about 20-30 seconds each round so there was about half a minute to recover and catch a breath. I thought this session would stress my heart a bit more and thus increase metabolic conditioning as well. In the last rounds of the snatches it did but as a whole it could have put more pressure on the heart. The key was that I was able to maintain the same pace with both snatches and lunges throughout the workout and this gave me about 30 sec to recover each round. That was enough for me and I was able to put all in all the time. I thought beforehand that it might take some more seconds as the weights are going to increase after each set. I'm happy I still managed to do the sets in the same time frame consistently. Maybe if I had taken dumbbells with the lunges, the nature of the workout would have been totally different. My legs got the most of it in this workout, they were burning when I snatched in the last rounds.


Toni's workouts. Back squat 3-3-3-3-3 (80, 85, 90, 95, 100kg) plus a metcon, time 11.08.

  • 1.000m row
  • 40 double unders
  • 20 dips
  • 30 sit-ups
  • 30 push-ups

You can give some comments on the workout Toni, I guess the back squat's idea was not to max it out today? The rowing part took about 3.40, that's a good pace. How did it affect the rest of the workout, did you leave some juice to the rest of the workout? What was to easiest, what was to hardest move?

1 comment:

  1. I almost skip squats today because my legs were not fully recovered from sundays workout. Goal was not to hit max today. I decided to do 3*3*3*3*3 from 80 to 100. I really need to work with those squats more often...

    Metcon was a nice wake-up for monday. I had a good pace in rowing and that made my heart bounce. Du's went ok, maybe in 3-4 sets. Sit-ups were the recovery in this workout but dips and push-ups were pure pain.

    ReplyDelete