Saturday, November 10, 2012

Saturday 10.11: Shoulder and push press, Game day

Saturday. 1k row, time 3.26. Shoulder press 6x4 (max PR 60kg), push press 4x3 (max PR 75kg). Short metcon.


Today was game day, we had a home game in the evening. Still, I wanted to go to the gym in the afternoon and went for shoulder and push press because my Wednesday's wasn't a success story. I nailed it today and made some personal records. I started with classic 1.000m row, time 3.26 and finished the day with a short metcon in which I didn't time it at all, just wanted to do the workout for quality.
Push press, 70kg
Strength. Shoulder press 4-4-4-4-4-3 (40, 45, 50, 55, PR 57.5, PR 60kg). Push press 3-3-3-2 (65, 70, PR 72.5, PR 75kg). God damned this was a good strength training session! Personal records in both shoulder and push press, both improved with 5kg. And I was able to do even those weights more than once, I'm so satisfied with this one! Maybe it was the amount of carbs I put in my mouth yesterday and the fact that I had the chance for a good night sleep. My training sessions have usually taken place very early in the morning and still I have been able to improve my max results consistently. However, the afternoon and weekend trainings have probably been most successful.

Shoulder press, 60kg

Push press, 75kg

Metcon. For quality
  • 3 rounds of:
  • 10 knees-to-elbows
  • 3 wall climbs
  • 10 dumbbell thrusters (15kg db's)
I didn't rush with this one, just wanted to get those movements done with quality, I didn't time this one at all. I like all these moves.

Dumbbell thrusters


10 comments:

  1. That's amazing dude! 5 kg is a big jump. The way you are improving your results is crazy. I had a bit easier workout today consisting cleans and a wod 21-15-9 push press/burbee (time 7.41). I did cleans 3*3*3*3*3 with 60-72.5 kg. Also did a new pr in du's...37 in a row

    ReplyDelete
  2. What!!! 37 in a row, c'mon Tony! What weights did you use in that workout with burpees?

    The weights yesterday felt so much lighter than normally. I knew that day would be a good one already when I had rowed like 500 meters. My time in 1.000m was 3.26, which is the fastest I've ever gone. And it just felt that there is a lot to be given for a successful workout. My confidence level was high and imagine that I was able to do more than one single rep with the new personal records, in both of them. Three reps with 60kg shoulder press and two push presses with 75kg. That was simply awesome =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgot to mention it but we lost the game 4-5 at home stadium. I was the back up goalie this time. The result was a disappointment as we were number one in the standings and the opponent was the second last position before the game. This was the first loss during the season so we have been good this season

    ReplyDelete
  4. Next time you will hit 90kg. Well at least I have my bench press PR 90 kg :-). I did my workout with 40 kg. First set with 21 reps went unbroken but after that I was really tired and able to do only about 2-3 reps on a row

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ment that next next time you will hit 80 kg...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You might want to partition the first set of 21 reps in this kind of workout so it won't burn you in the second / third round. Putting all in on the first round may backfire, I've noticed that in my own workouts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I modified this writing. For the metcon I had not written that it was for three rounds…

    ReplyDelete