Saturday, November 24, 2012

Saturday 24.11: Sevenish

Saturday. Workout inspired by "The Seven", seven movements, five rounds. Time 26.00

Saturday morning, tough workout, result happy and tired. Toni was there with me and we pushed through this heavy workout. No separate strength workout today as the metcon included deadlifts and thrusters with heavier weights already and handstand push-ups as well.

Metcon. Time 26.00. Toni did 4 rounds in 31.27.
  • 5 rounds of
  • 7 handstand push-ups
  • 7 thrusters (50kg)
  • 7 knees-to-elbows
  • 7 deadlifts (120kg)
  • 7 burpees
  • 7 kettlebell swings, 1 pood
  • 7 pull-ups
Deadlift
This was a tough one. It was inspired by the workout called "Seven". It wasn't rx'd. The original consists of 60kg thrusters and 2 pood kb swings and lasts naturally 7 rounds. Because of the huge number of handstand push-ups I decided to use foam roll as my assistance so I didn't lower my head all the way to the floor. Toni hasn't performed HSPU's yet so he took advantage of stall bars, he laid his feet on the bars and did semi handstand push-ups.

I had no rush from the very beginning, concentrating in doing the movements unbroken and catching my breath. Everything but deadlifts and thrusters went unbroken. Actually the handstand push-ups with the help of foam roll was too easy. The two movements I was afraid of - hspu & thrusters - were not the most difficult. It was definitely the deadlift, it was the most demanding part of the workout with plates worth of 120kg in the barbell. For the first round of thrusters I took the bar to my chest when lowering it from the upright position and then front squatting with the bar. That wasn't smart so from the second round on I started to do them as real thrusters, flexing my knees when bringin the bar down to my chest and keeping the motion continous up and down. The last two rounds I had to do 5+2 reps, it was such a tough job to go unbroken.

Thruster
Knees-to-elbows usually feels quite light, at least with a small amount of reps. But then, deadlift... Huh, Total of 35 reps during the workout, nice! First round unbroken. The following 4 rounds 5+2 or 4+3 depending on the round. It came up well but it was heavy. It's good that I had this workout because I haven't had deadlifts lately. It usually tears skin off my palms but today's tapes saved my hands.

Burpees I took with easy pace. Kettlebell swings were way too easy, almost a rest period because we don't have heavier kettlebell at the gym. We were thinking about doing swings with two 1 pood kettlebells but didn't want to risk swinging the kb to the knee cap and take an injury =) Pull-ups went unbroken each time, that seems to be the trend nowadays.

Burpee
All in all, this workout was physically demanding. Doing high rep thrusters and deadlifts with heavier weights wasn't that easy. It took quite a while - about hald an hour - so stamina was definitely on test as well. I could have put my body work even harder and shorten the breaks between movements but I thought it's gonna be a nightmare because of the length of it. I'm satisfied with how I was able to partition this workout. It really sucked the juice out of me and I felt great after the workout. We would have gone for the total seven rounds for sure, it was just a matter of schedules. We had to go to work at 9.00 so we were in a rush from the very beginning =)

Toni, I think you liked this one as well?

4 comments:

  1. This was awful. 120 kg deadlift was almost too much for me. I was bit surprised about thrusters going so smooth. I bet my front squat training has something to do about it. After workout puking was once again very close. Maybe in 6-9 months I'm ready to this rx :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can already feel this one in my back muscles :) The deadlifts were hard ones. I was so sure thrusters would bury me so it felt very good to do them so much better than I thought beforehand. Same thing with you man, your form in front squat / clean / thrusters has improved greatly lately. I'd like to do this rx'd and test my body. Where could we find a 2 poor kettlebell

    ReplyDelete
  3. In a couple of days you get to work out at your favourite swedish gym, yeaa :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah! Getting back to the Skierg for sure! Hopefully they have acquired the 10kg wall ball already? And the possibilities to practice handstand are great, waiting eagerly forward to it :)

    ReplyDelete