Sunday, November 4, 2012

Sunday 4.11: deadlift + Birthday wod

Sunday. Deadlift 5x3, birthday wod, time 7.38.

I met Toni at noon to do some training. Today is my birthday, I'm turning 33 so we decided to celebrate it with some heavy work =) I took deadlifts for starters as my strength training and then a "birthday wod". Toni concentrated in push press, accpmplishing a new personal record and a tough metcon at the end. Naturally the session began with rowing.

Strength. 5-5-5-5-3 (120, 130, 140, 145, 150kg). I'm very happy to the workout. For the last times I've gone for deadlifts, I've done them as a combination with some other strength movement or then I've done 3 rep sets.  Today my focus was to do 5 reps in each set and see how far I could go. My max stands at 155kg (single rep). I did 5 reps up to 145kg, never done that many repetitions with those weights. And I ended the workout with 3 reps of 150kg, that was tough guys! I'm very happy with the amount of deadlifts with heavy kilos today, 13 reps over 140kg. And I felt it in my back, great.


Deadlift, 145kg
Metcon. Upper body workout, total of 198 reps. Time 7.38.
  • 33 ring dips
  • 33 double unders
  • 33 pull-ups
  • 33 double unders
  • 33 push-ups
  • 33 double unders
To celebrate the 33th birthday, I took 33 reps of some movements. This metcon was very nasty as ring dips, pull-ups and push-ups all concentrated in my upper body, chest and triceps especially. Doing 33 reps of these movements isn't that bad but doing them in a row is very bad. Ring dips burnt me in the very beginning, after 20 this workout started to feel it's difficult to finish it with style. The last 10 reps were a struggle and I completed them in threes and twos. It also affected my double unders, which I consider one of my strengths when you think about the skills required in crossfit. I managed to complete DUs in two sets.


I thought the pull-ups would bring a lot of problems but evidently they weren't the issue today. Actually, I believe I did them best of all these three movements (dips, pull-ups, push-ups). Starting with 9 pull-ups, then 7, in the end a few reps at a time. There has clearly been strong development and I'm able to utilize the kipping mode. In the second round of double unders I went unbroken.

When I finally moved on to push-ups, I could barely feel my hands, my triceps were killing me. I couldn't do them much in a row, just a few reps after the first attempt. Very difficult, somehow I stumbled through them. At the final round of double unders, it was very difficult to control the jump rope as my triceps and hands in general were so numb. I really enjoyed this workout as it concentrated on those muscles which I definitely want to strengthen: chest, triceps, shoulders. And this workout obviously doesn't get easier by time, net year it's gonna be 34 reps each :)

Toni's workouts. Push press 3-3-3-3-3-3-1 (55, 60, 65, 70, 72.5, 75, PR 77.5kg). Metcon, time 18.20.
  • 5 rounds of
  • 10 push press (2rounds with 60kg, 3 rounds with 50kg)
  • 10 burpees
  • 20 double unders

Toni was able to do a personal record with push presses, renewing 1 rep max to 77.5kg. His metcon looked nasty. Five rounds of three movements: 10 push presses, for the first two rounds he did it with 60kg. However, the weights were too heavy and had to be decreased to 50kg for the three remaining rounds. In the first round he went unbroken, the second was a battle, and went in twos on average. From then on it was 2-5 reps at a time.

Burpees weren't that bad, at least they seemed to be going okay. The progress of his burpees has been tremendous, great job Toni! Double unders' success changed by the round. Third round went unbroken, nice! The other rounds had some difficulties but I saw some development there, it was better than before. It's good you've been jumping around a lot, it's visible now. Toni, share your thoughts!


3 comments:

  1. This was maybe the toughest workout ever. Womiting was the first in my mind when finishing the wod. It was bit embarrassing that I had to scale the weights during the workout but to be honest that 60 kg was just too much.

    I'm happy about that new PR in push press. Next one is 80 kg! Also happy that my DU's are really starting to roll. That birthday WOD was fun to watch - maybe not that fun to do :)

    Tomorrow: some dips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good decision to drop 10kg from the bar at the presses. There was no point in continuing with 60kg as it was too heavy for this workout. Considering 77.5 is the max, 60kg is quite tough to go for 50 reps for time =)

      I added the video of my metcon afterwards as I tried to modify it a bit. For some reason youtube sometimes doesn't allow to show the videos as the music from the radio is too loud so the channel tells there is a violation of copyrights. That's the reason why "birthday wod" is without sounds..

      Delete
  2. The reason why I bend my legs in the double unders is because my hands were feeling kinda numb and it was difficult to get the rope circulating as fast as it should. That's why I really had to bend those knees to perform double unders in general. It was tough!

    ReplyDelete