Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Tuesday 20.11: Press day + pull-up clinic

Tuesday. Shoulder press 4-4-2-2 (max 60kg), push press 3-3-2-1 (max PR 77.5kg), 4-4-4-3 bench press (max 80kg). Pull-up clinic at Pirkkola.

Press day, and a good one! In all three strength moves I tied my current record or went beyond it. My throat aches a bit so I decided to skip metcons for a couple of days and focus on strength. It's not that badly hurt anyway, doesn't prevent me from training. This proved to be smart decision and I headed to the gym with Toni for heavy presses. After doing a lot of pressing we drove to Pirkkola for Toni having the possibility to learn kipping pull-ups.

Push press 77.5kg
Strength. Presses

  • Shoulder press 4-4-2-2 (50, 55, 60, 60kg)
  • Push press 3-3-2-1 (65, 70, 75, PR 77.5kg)
  • Bench press 4-4-4-3 (60, 70, 75, 80kg)

Before this day my record for shoulder press was 60kg, push press 75kg and bench 80kg. It was all going up well and I was quite proud of myself. It's been only ten days (10.11) since my previous records for these shoulder oriented strength exercises, the improvements back then were 5kg each and now I was able to go for even higher weights. My bench press record also dates to the early November when I did 80kg twice. Today it came up three reps and the fourth was inches away from clean rep but Toni assisted me in the last moment, might not have come up without him, don't know. Anyway, it was a very good press day.

Toni also tied his PR in push press, he went up to 55 for shoulder press and 77.5kg for push press and so very close to 80kg. Shoulder press was a bit sticky but once he got his legs in the play and changed to push press, things started to happen. The plan was to do fours for shoulder press and threes for push press. His sets look slightly bizarre this time. For some reason 75kg came up only once but once he took a 2 min break he shot the bar up three times, then added load to 77.5kg and did two reps. Finally that magical 80kg refused to go all the way three times. He was determined and persistent! This just wasn't that day yet.

  • Shoulder press 4-2-4-F (50, 55, 55, 60kg)
  • Push press 3-3-1-3-F-2-F-F-F (65, 70, 75, 75, 77.5, 77.5, 80, 80, 80kg)


Mr. Kipping
Pull-up clinic. Toni learning the secrets of kipping pull-ups. I believe this was useful training for him and we utilized Cherie Chan's tutorial video for this purpose.



2 comments:

  1. That 80kg was so close that next time it will come up! Thanks for the tips today, it was very useful day. Just have to keep on practising those kipping pull- ups

    ReplyDelete
  2. That 80kg was very very close! And the progress of the kipping style was a positive signal. Once you get them going you must go after Fran...

    ReplyDelete