Monday, December 10, 2012

Monday 10.12: Back squat, metcon, rings, handstand

Monday. Back squat 3-3-3-2 (max 125kg), metcon of various squats, k2e, burpees and pull-ups. Time 7.00. Ring skills and handstand training for cooling down. Floorball in the evening.

Linda is still reminding of herself in my upper body. That's why today was leg-oriented day. Back squats and a squat-focused metcon to accompany my strength training. I can't stay away from practicing handstand so I took some training today at the gym as well as at the floorball training which took place in the evening. Some ring skills was done as well.

Strength. Back squat 3-3-3-2 (110, 115, 120, 125, failed on 130kg). I had written down to take 5x3 sets, it was very optimistic that I could finished those sets I had planned (up to 130kg). I managed to lift 120kg three times, 2 reps with 125kg and finally failed on my current max 130kg. Today's focus was on going deep. I think I performed well, concentration was good, my for was good and I hit the bottom position deep enough to reach 90 degrees. I felt joy :)


120kg

125kg

Metcon. Time 7.00

  • 10 back squats, 80kg
  • 30 knees-to-elbows
  • 20 front squats, 60kg
  • 20 burpees
  • 30 overhead squats, 20kg
  • 10 pull-ups

My metcon included back squats, front squats and overhead squats, spiced with some movements in between. After strength training I didn't want to load the barbell with heavy weights. I didn't have that much energy anyway so I could have gone faster with this metcon. Starting from back squats, continuing to k2e's. I went 25 unbroken, then to the end. I took front squats in two sets, burpees felt like it was a slow motion movie. Overhead squats I took with an empty bar 'cause I haven't done those much. I wanted to give that load through reps, not through heavy weights. Even though it was only 20kg, the form started to come unstable at some point so I had to lower the bar two times. That's because it started to seem a bit shaky at times. I completed the workout with 10 pull-ups. Total time, exactly 7.00min.

This was a good workout, I got my heart racing. I'd like to do this with a fresh body and with a bit heavier weights. Let's say that I'd like to add 20kg in each bar. The amount of reps was good, no need to change that. Some box jumps could have been involved if a twist was needed :)

Toni went to the gym in the evening, I had floorball "for recovery". What did you do at the gym Toni?


3 comments:

  1. Did you notice that you are chuffing and swaying exactly 1 minute before actually starting to squat? In both films :D so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is funny!

    I had an easier day. Because of Linda I was still exhausted. I did some squats 60/70/80/90/90 *5 and skill training with overhead squats, handstands, ring dips/push ups and snatches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah baby, that's my thing, got to prepare mentally for those heavy lifts =) When I'm going after my limits, I believe it's quite a lot depending on confidence and I must build it up by chuffing a bit before the rep

    ReplyDelete