Monday, December 17, 2012

Monday 17.12: Squats

Monday. Front squat 1-1-1-1 (max 120kg), back squat 1-1-1-1-1 (max 125kg).

My feeling was good and I was well awake as I jumped into my car and headed to the box. However, I arrived at 7.10 and was supposed to be in a meeting 8.00 so I had to rush to do my squats. This was not the intention and I couldn't reach my max effort. This was somewhat a disappointment as I planned to accomplish heavier lifts than I did. Toni also did some front squats and Tabata training.

Strength. Front and back squat singles.

  • Front squat 1-1-1-1 (100, 110, 120, 125kg failed)
  • Back squat 1-1-1-1-1 (100, 110, 120, 125, 130kg failed)

I only took some double unders, bear complex with a cold bar and then two sets of overhead squats before entering front squats. Probably the shortest warm-up ever, not a good decision. I must repeat this workout with good preparation and add overhead singles for starters. The idea of going after ohs + fs + bs singles is to increase the load after each single rep.

Front squat, 120kg

I took 120kg up front squatting which is my current max. Okay, that was a job well done but this was only a single rep so I was looking to go further. I added 5kg to the bar and missed the rep. My back squats went well and my 125kg was even easier than 120kg, which sounds a bit awkward :) After short recovery I tried 130kg but it stayed low for a second or two and I had to drop the barbell. Then it was time to run to the showers. After 125kg I was confident to go after a new PR but it was too hasty to go after it this time.



Toni's workouts. Toni PR'd his front squat and did "Tabata This" as well.
Front squat 3-3-3-2-1 (70, 80, 85, 90, PR 95kg)
Tabata This: row 8, squats 15, pull-ups 3, push-ups 5, sit-ups 9

7 comments:

  1. Todays workout was nice. Not super, but nice. Happy about my PR but still I should squat lot more.

    Lately my training has been too much "strength oriented". From now on I will put more effort to metcons(I heard some wise words today) Maybe that will help me to improve my condition and drop a few more kilos. My goal is somewhere around 90-95 kg. When I started CF my weight was 110 kg and now it is 98 kg. Five months and 12 kg :.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up good work Tony! You have been progressing very well during this year and it will continue next year if you do right desicions:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you started crossfitting somewhere around July / August, the progress has been unbelievable!
    You have it right, paying attention to improving overall conditioning is the key to success and well being. Through metcons you're able to do exactly that. Your strength training should not be the main focus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A little bit hurried training session for sure :P Maybe it would have been more efficient to give this time for your muscles to recover rather than strain them without proper warm-up and recovery, what do you think? Sometimes less is more... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got it, it was a bit too quick workout. I guess that's why my elbows are on fire, I've had to put ice power on them a few times to cool it down... But hey, this was a good lession for future!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Satisfied about my PR but still I should go lot more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Forgot to mention about my Monday night floorball training...

    ReplyDelete