Saturday, December 15, 2012

Saturday 15.12: Clean and jerk, 2012 Open wod 3

Saturday. Clean & jerk x 1 (max PR 80kg), 2012 CF Open wod no. 3. Result 7 rounds.

Today was a good day to hit the gym with Pauliina and Toni. Yesterday I got my head back in the game after a rest day and decided to go for clean & jerk and a workout from CF Open 2012, workout number 3. This time I skipped rowing and took double unders 4x25 to warm-up. This was definitely a good day and good results! Toni did today's main site 12min amrap, looked tough as well :)

Deficit push-ups

Strength. Clean & jerk 1-1-1-1-1 (60, 65, 70, PR 75, PR 80kg). Yeah, I nailed this one. I haven't been chasing better numbers in clean & jerk for a while, last time I did it was on 14th November. This movement is critical so I should definitely have it on the schedule (snatches too) constantly. Last time I cleaned my PR for 75kg but wasn't able to jerk it all the way overhead. So today's numbers were huge! 80kg clean & jerk just PR'd my old clean, press and clean & jerk numbers. I had to go for 82.5kg too because I felt I had some strength in my pockets as well. However, that 82.5kg got a little short on the clean. As I paused the video where the bar hits its highest point I was very frustrated I couldn't turn it to my chest. I leaned a bit too much forward which forced me to drop the bar. That was close! I would have pushed it up no matter what, that's for sure.

PR lift, 80kg

Metcon. Result 7 rounds, 252 reps.

  • 18min amrap of
  • 15 box 24' = 64cm
  • 12 push press, 115lbs = 52.5kg
  • 9 toes-to-bar

Box jumps

My brother has been pushing me to go after this workout for a while so today it finally fitted my schedule. This was the workout number 3 from this year's CF Open. 18 minute amrap is cruel due to the length of it and consider also the movements that are included. We just got new Rogue 24' box at the gym, that's 64cm. 15 box jumps followed by 12 reps of push press for 52.5kg and finally 9 toes-to-bar to finish the round. On a running clock do as many reps as possible in 18min. On average my pace was around 2 and a half minutes per round.

This new box is 64cm, and the previous "box jumps" that we've done with Toni have been on a bench of 41cm (occasionally plates under it have increased it to 46cm) so adding 23cm is over 50% more than what we are used to. I did them unbroken anyway, I found a good rhythm and it rolled on nicely, no problemos. My strategy for push press was to do it in two sets for as long as possible. I managed to keep it up for maybe 4 rounds, 6+6 reps. Then the last 3 rounds I did them 5+5+2 and 5+4+3. My shoulders were in pure pain at the end of the last round. My toes-to-bars turned out to be a success story. I managed to do them unbroken, all but the last 2 reps :)

Toes-to-bar

There was quite a number of total reps. 105 box jumps, 84 push presses, 63 T2Bs, 252 total reps. This workout seems to be created for shoulder pressure especially. Also cardio-pressure was high after a few rounds. I enjoyed this one and was happy to maintain a good pace throughout the metcon.

Toni's workout. Result 3 rounds, 8 deadlift
12min amrap
15 deadlift, 70kg
15 deficit push-up, hands on 25kg plates
15 box 24' = 64cm

HSPU training, Toni

Toni did today's main site wod of 12min amrap. He pushed through 3 rounds and 8 deadlifts to the fourth round. His push-ups looked very good and the guy looked to fall in love with this new standard of deficit push-ups =)


5 comments:

  1. That 82.5kg clean and jerk attempt is naturally available in my Youtube channel, link is on the upper right corner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again day was a succes. Soon i'm able to do handstand pushups without that foam roll.

    Todays metcon was very nice. I really enjoyed those pushups and 64 cm box jumps were awesome. My score was three rounds and 8 deadlift. I'm not super happy about my result because my back was killing me during the workout so my deadlifts were not rolling today.

    I have to say that you really did your best in that metcon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Don! Next you have to try Open WOD nr.5 :)

    Only 2,5 months and CF Open 2013 begins...

    -Bro

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm telling you Toni, we did good workouts today!

    That wod number 5 looks too nasty at the moment because of those chest-to-bars. I haven't paid attention to those so I'm still not doing them correctly. I've developed greatly in pull-ups but C2Bs are still not possible.

    CF Open, workout number 5
    7min
    3 thrusters, 100 pounds
    3 C2B
    6 thrusters, 100 pounds
    6 C2B
    9 thrusters, 100 pounds
    9 C2B…

    Continue as far as possible in 7min time limit… Increase 3 reps after each round

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice one! Maybe I should first learn how to do normal pull-ups :-) Tomorrow I will do that mainsite tabata-wod. I think I have done it like few months ago

    ReplyDelete