Saturday, December 29, 2012

Saturday 29.12: Handstand push-ups, sled

Saturday. Handstand push-ups, dips, mobility, sled.

Different type of training for this Saturday. We headed to a sports center called Liikuntamylly in eastern Helsinki together with Toni to perform something a bit different. We've never been to this place but the training possibilities are spectacular to say the least. At first we were a bit disappointed because the main weightlifting area was reserved to a team and thus restricted access. So we had to change our plans and to the regular gym in Liikuntamylly.

Sled

Toni did bench presses, I concentrated in bodyweight movements, especially dips and handstand push-ups. I didn't count the reps but there were numerous sets between 3-5 reps. I'd say there were plenty of them. In addition I took dip sets 10+15+20 reps.

For about 20 minutes we did thorough mobility training with Toni. It was very useful because lately we have forgotten to do them properly. We must pay attention to our mobility, elasticity and flexibility constantly. Especially as we are lifting heavy weights all the time we must do mobility to prevent injuries.

As we were ready to leave the place after a semi training session we got to sneak to the weightlifting area and I'm telling you we were like kids in a candy store for the first time. The area was simply perfect. A lot of racks, barbells, plates, sled, wall balls etc. I decided to run with sled, Toni PR'd his deadlift!

Sled. God damn I fell in love with this bastard! It's awesome leg burner :) I have no idea how much I should put weights in that sled, today I had 20+15+15 plates on it, in addition to the sled itself. I guess there should be somewhere around 80-100kg to make the best of it. This time was more like getting to know each other and next time I'll take full advantage of this toy. I believe there were 4 sets back and forth this 20-30 meter distance. It was fun!!! I challenge you Toni to join me with this sled next time...



Toni's workouts. He started with bench presses, reaching 95 kilos, singles and doubles. A lot of handstand push-up training and mobility in between. Finally the climax was his deadlift where he reached 160kg and a new record. Up to 140kg his form looked good! In the final two reps the back maybe leaned a bit forward but the determination was huge to get those weights up. And to be honest, I'm sure he could have added plates in the bar and lift heavier weights but it was smart not to compromise form over new records.


  • Bench press sets of 95kg, 1-2 reps
  • Handstand push-ups
  • Mobility
  • Deadlift 3-3-1-1-1 (110, 130, 140, 150, PR160kg)


Crossfit announced a winter challenge, quite a workout...

CrossFit - Announcing The Ranch Big Bob Winter Challenge



1 comment:

  1. Liikuntamylly was phenomena! I don't know what happened but my deadlifts were so light today. I'm very happy about my form, like Don said it was good until I started to break my PR.

    I'm definitely doing sledge next time!

    ReplyDelete