Sunday, December 2, 2012

Sunday 2.12: Back squats and metcon

Sunday. Back squat 5x2 (max PR 130kg). Metcon kb c&j, kb swings, du. Time 10.06. Handstand skills training.


Second day at the gym in Stockholm. Sunday early afternoon, ready to back squat high numbers. I took different kind of approach to this strength training. 2-rep sets up to new max. Then a metcon which blew my brains out. Finally some handstand skills training. Pauliina focused on shoulders and bottom :)

Strength. Back squat 2-2-2-2-2 (100, 110, 120, 125, PR 130kg).

Normally I take more reps with lighter kilos before hitting bigger weights. Today I squatted front and back squats with empty bar for quite a while to get my joints loosen up and prepare them for real squats. My air squats, lunges and stretching before the back squats were also thought carefully. Then I only took a few 60kg reps after starting my 2-rep sets from 100kg up. This seemed to be a good implementation and worked for its purpose today. I added to 110, 120, 125 and finally PR'd my max load to 130kg. I was extremely happy for today's training!



Metcon. Time 10.06. Kettlebells and double unders.
  • 4 rounds of:
  • 7 kettlebell clean & jerk (doubles 20kg)
  • 7 kettlebell swing (32kg)
  • 50 double unders
One of the sickest feelings during the wod. I haven't had the chance to do doubles with kettlebell clean & jerks. At this particular gym they have two kettlebells of 20kg so I naturally took advantage of those in my metcon. They also have a heavier kb for my swings, 32kg. I did them Russian style, swingin the kb over my eyelevel. Those kettlebells were freaking heavy. I wanted my heart to race fast so I added a twist with 50 double unders between rounds.

Clean & jerk, doubles, 20kg

On the first round I did c&j unbroken, second round 5+2 and third / fourth round 3+2+2. These jerks were the toughest for me in the workout. I've done same movement with same weights with no problems (last time in HC Triplet) but it's been with alternating hands where you get a short rest for each hand before the next rep. Doing doubles allows you no rest at all and it simply kills the shoulders.

I did swings unbroken, even though that ball was heavy as hell. I haven't done 32kg kb practically at all. I'm used to playing around with my own 20kg kb. I'd love to have a heavier one at my use. My double unders are in good shape. Once again, not a single mistake during the workout. A total of 200 doubles, I took them 2x25 each round. It was a tough combination as doubles really make my shoulders burn and then you go straigth to doing clean and jerks. This was awesome and as tough as I thougth beforehand.

KB swing, 32kg
Handstand. I couln't stay away of practicing free handstand. After Pauliina told me some smart words, it hit me how to perform handstand and I'm definitely going to work on this one until I master it completely. Take a look, this is my second time after I understood what should be done when inverted.



3 comments:

  1. Nice work mate! After spending hole day in the car I decided to go to the gym. It was not that good idea. I was so tired that my workout was lame. Okay, I pr'd my push press (80 kg) but I really felt that my body could do more but not today. I had three failed reps with 82,5 kg :).

    I had some plans to do Cindy but I decided to listen my body and save it for later. I did push-ups (chest to ground), air squats and sit-ups (100 reps each). I think I will have a rest day tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work with handstands! Soon you will be able to go and walk with your hands all around Stockholm :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a stubborn guy :) Three failed reps seems to be your thing when chasing big weights. Respect! I got to get that 80kg up as well, nice job

    ReplyDelete