Thursday, December 20, 2012

Thursday 20.12: Box / KB metcon, pistols

Thursday. Metcon of box jumps and kb swings. Time 5.11. Pistol training

Today I exceptionally concentrated in doing a single wod and skipped strength training totally. This was intentional because my elbows are a bit sensitive so I didn't want to press them too much. And I have squatted twice this week so my legs have got their share as well. Toni went for clean & jerk strength training.

Kettlebell swing, american style

Metcon. Time 5.11
  • 4 rounds of
  • 21 box, 64cm
  • 12 kb swings (32kg)
I took my new 32kg kettlebell to the Box for the first time and I just loved it! Four rounds of box jumps and kettlebell swings, american style. I went unbroken all the way, just took some breath between transitions. Final time a bit over 5min. Box jumps began to put pressure on my thighs on the third round but somehow I managed to push that pain to the background and push it forward. There was a moderate amount of reps per round so I completed them with strength and good form. I was very happy to do them american style, that means swinging those 32 kilos all the way over my head for a full range of motion. There was a total of 84 box jumps and 48 kb swings. I also took some swings at the end of the training so there was something like 80 reps in total. I like my new toy!

I also took some skills training today. I took some sets of double unders, they are really rolling well nowadays, I'm proud of myself =) Then I also did pistols today (one legged squats), something like 4 sets of 6-10 reps with alternating legs.

Clean & jerk, 77.5kg
Toni's workouts. Clean & jerk 5-5-3-3-3-1-1-1-1-1 (60, 65, 70, 72.5, 75, 77.5, 80, 82.5 failed, PR 82.5kg, 85kg failed).
Clean & jerk, 82.5kg, PR, Toni

Toni planned his reps well in advance, first two rounds of 5 reps, then 3 rounds of 3 reps and finishing it with 5 singles. The meaning was to add load after each set. He almost managed to do so and actually was able to do new records. First of all, 82.5kg was his new PR for clean and jerk, the previous was somewhere around 60-65kg. That's because he simply hasn't done this movement for a while. His clean 85kg was also PR as well as pressing 82.5kg.



1 comment:

  1. This was a good one. My shoulder were crying! I'm definitely going to do C & J more often as a strength workout. I had some plans about 2 km row but after few set with high kilos I decided to skip rowing and give everything to C & J. Tomorrow I will probably do something with thrusters.

    ReplyDelete