Sunday, January 20, 2013

Sunday 20.1: Fight Gone Bad

Sunday. Fight Gone Bad. 277 points.

Two days of rest and anxious to hit the Box. Toni suggested to take one of the most classic workouts: Fight Gone Bad. I didn't see any reason why not to so we both did it. It proved to be a nasty one. I took 1k row for starters for time of 3.27 before preparing my body for FGB.

Fight Gone Bad. Total of 277 points. In brackets you'll see the amount of reps for the three rounds.

  • Wall ball, 15kg plate thrusters (35, 28, 22 reps)
  • Sumo deadlift high-pull, 35kg (20, 17, 12 reps)
  • Box jumps (22, 15, 12 reps)
  • Push press, 35kg (20, 10, 20 reps)
  • Row calories (16, 16, 12 reps)


In this workout you move from each of 5 stations after a minute. This is a 5-minute round from which a 1-minute break is allowed before repeating. There are 3 rounds in the workout. The clock does not reset or stop between exercises. On call of "switch", the athlete must move to the next station immediately for good score. One point is given for each rep, except on the rower where each calorie is one point.

We did this one in the beginning of our crossfit careers, 27th July 2012. The difference between these two workouts were the order of the movements, this time we went in the order they were supposed to be done. And the box jump's height was 40cm last time, now it was 64cm. Originally it should be 60cm. We don't have a possibility to a 9kg wall ball so we modified it to 15kg plate with which we did thrusters to replicate the effort needed to wall ball.

I was exhausted. In July my shoulders were the ones that bailed me down, now it was my lower body. My upper body was feeling surprisingly good but my legs were burning already on the first round. The box jumps were the major reason for the difference between my two FGB's, there were 100 reps last time for the lower box (it was a bench) and now I had 49 reps to the real Rogue box.

I was better with the wall balls (67 - 85 reps), sumo deadlifts (48 - 49 reps) and rowing (46 - 48 reps). However, with push press I performed way better last time (85 - 50 reps) and box jumps (100 - 49 reps) but that we already covered why this happened. I'm surprised about the push presses. The difference can't be that last time we took the bar from a rack, this time from the floor, that bar is so light anyway. Maybe it's because of the order of the movements. Previously push press was the first movement and I was able to go for it with a "fresh" body. Today it was towards the end of the round as it is supposed to.

My guts were scorching on the second round and legs burning. Somehow I was able to get a grip of life again and push through. This workout is simply freaking rough. There was a lesson learned today. I must put more focus back on the basics: metabolic conditioning. I had to catch a breath once in a while during FGB and I don't like it. I'd like to push through from the beginning to the end and do as many reps as possible. I've gained muscles lately through weight increase but at the same time my focus has been too much on gaining bigger numbers on heavy lifts. I'm definitely going to put a lot of plates on the barbells in the future as well but a lot of effort should be put on metcons as well.

Here's the mid part of Toni's FGB, second round about to start

Toni's Fight Gone Bad. Total of 224 points. In brackets the amount of reps for the three rounds.


  • Wall ball, 15kg plate thrusters (30, 20, 16 reps)
  • Sumo deadlift high-pull, 35kg (15, 8, 9 reps)
  • Box jumps (12, 10, 9 reps)
  • Push press, 35kg (15, 15, 13 reps)
  • Row calories (18, 15, 19 reps)

Toni's numbers went from 246 to 224. He also made it better this time. The reason for the difference was the height o the box jumps as well. I don't have exact numbers of his last repetitions but here you can see today's figures.


2 comments:

  1. I have to say that you worked like a beast! Fight gone bad was bad...this is a good example of killer workout without heavy weights. I hope legs are not too tired because today I will do some squat. Well see

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks man! It was a pleasure wathching you fighting as well.

    ReplyDelete