Thursday, January 3, 2013

Thursday 3.1: Back squats, metcon

Thursday. Back squats 3-3-3-3-2 (max 130kg). Metcon 5 rounds of 10 step-ups (80kg) and 5 wall climbs. Time 10.24.

I can really feel yesterday's workout in my body still. I heard something similar from Toni who did exactly the same exercise. It wasn't the easiest of all wake-ups in the morning but I packed my gear, hit the bus towards the Box and was I ready for some action once again! For starters I took the classic rowing set, hip openers before entering my strength training.

Strength. Back squats 3-3-3-3-2 (100, 110, 120, 130, 130kg). I'm actually very happy how well my squats rolled today! Considering the stiffness yesterday evening in my hamstrings and hips. I took sets from 100 to 130, going up by 10's. You know there is a milestone weight which you know you can bring up at least once any day, no matter if it's a good or a semi-good day. My milestone used to be in 120 kilos but now I've brought that up to 130kg. I'm confident and feel strong when I go under the bar. At least that's my feeling at the moment =)

Back squat, 130kg

I took a set of 130kg, three reps, the last one was a battle. Because my aim was to do sets of 3 reps I didn't want to add load and go for 135 I decided to stay with 130kg and aim for another triple set. I came up with two repetitions, last one was simply too much. Good workout after which I rested for a while before my metcon of the day.

Metcon. Time 10.24
  • 5 rounds of
  • 10 step-ups, 80kg
  • 5 wall climbs
Step-ups, first round

Because my strength consisted of back squats I wanted to put more pressure on my hamstrings. Still, some additional upper body load was on my mind. I came up with a five rounder of step-ups and wall climbs. I've found a step-up weight that's pretty good for me considering this was a high-rep metcon: 50 step-ups and 25 wall climbs. Both of these moves belong to my favorite tool bag. Step-ups started to feel in my lower body in the second or third round quite roughly but surely I went unbroken. The wall climbs are always surprisingly fatiguing. Completing one wall climb takes just a few seconds but going 5 in a row round after round will melt down your body very effectively. I had to take a breath and give my shoulders and arms some time to chill out after 2-3 reps in rounds 3-5. That means to say I went unbroken but probably the last three rounds' wall climbs went in two sets.

I had some thoughts beforehand that the number of wall climbs would make me scream after the workout. It wasn't far away from the truth. I liked this one and recommend everyone to try out these moves and this specific workout as well. For cooling down I reminded my body of kipping pull-ups and did some mobility and foam rolling.

I believe Toni had a rest day today unless he decided otherwise and went to the nearby gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment