Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Tuesday 29.1: Isabel, snatches

Tuesday. Isabel, 40kg. Time 3.39. Metcon, 6 rounds of 5 db (20kg) snatches, right hand and 5 snatches, left hand. Time 2.49.

This day was fully snatch-oriented. My main workout of the day was Isabel, second benchmark wod for this week. After getting a grip again, I continued doing snatches with dumbbells, it was something like Isabel as well. I also did some kipping handstand push-ups training. Toni took it easy in the morning.

Isabel. Time 3.39
  • 30 snatches for time, 40kg
This workout should be completed with a 60kg barbell but considering my max snatch (45kg), 60kg would be a joke. I piled 40kg on, and started lifting. My strategy was to do sets of 5 reps with a short break and continue this style throughout the workout. This plan held on until 20 reps. Next set after that was 4 succeeded ones and one failed rep. Then I struggled with the last piece of strength that was left in my body to finish Isabel. Finally the clock stopped at 3.39. I'm quite happy I was able to do this workout consistently, with a steady pace and without too much breaks in between. I believe soon it's about time to add weights and complete a PR.

After the workout I had similar feeling as with Grace. The start of the workout flows forward without too much troubles. After one third the barbell starts to weigh quite a lot. After two thirds it's a mental game as you simply don't have that strength anymore but you have to dig it from somewhere. I enjoy both of these a lot. Throughout the workouts breathing grows heavy quite soon and you have to do work to catch your breath and simultaneously keep on lifting the bar. Good and complex movements.

It was a bummer my camera's memory card filled up during the filming of Isabel so the last reps are not shown in the video… The first 24 reps are on the video, all that went by the plan :) The last 6 were tougher.

Isabel

Metcon. Time 2.49
  • 6 rounds of:
  • 5 dumbbell snatches, 20kg, right hand
  • 5 dumbbell snatches, 20kg, left hand
I wasn't done with Isabel =) I wanted to do it in a different way, with dumbbells. I used 20kg dumbbell by snatching it one handed, 5 reps with right hand, then 5 reps with left hand, continuing for 6 total rounds. That is 30 reps with both hands. My time was about one minute faster with dumbbells compared to 40kg barbell. The big difference was that I went unbroken all the time. I didn't have to break it into sets. My heart beat was fast but manageable. It was a good metcon and I'm gonna add dumbbells into my metcons as well after some good experience working with them. Last time I used 15kg db's, but 20kg was way better and more suitable for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment