Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Wednesday 16.1: Push Jerk Gauntlet

Wednesday. Push Jerk Gauntlet. Result 80kg.

Another early morning wake-up and time to work towards better overall fitness through crossfit. Schedule stood a deadlift related metcon which we quickly changed to a Rob O's workout, consisting of a new movement, push jerk. Toni reached his new PR of chest-to-overhead moves.


Gauntlet. Starting from 40kg, adding 2.5kg, I reached 80kg, Toni added to 85kg.

Nice one! I copy pasted this one from Rob Orlando at www.strongmanwod.com. After warming up we piled 40kg on the bar and took single reps. The purpose in the workout is to do one single rep at 50% of 1 rep max, then add 2.5kg each minute and see how far you can go by jerking the bar. The difference between push press and push jerk is that in press you dip with your hip and then strongly drive and push the bar up to full extension. In jerk you kind of drop below the bar to straight hands and bent legs, and then extend your body with legs. I haven't done jerks, mostly all my reps have been presses, same with Toni.




I believe I was able to practice this move pretty well. In some lifts my performance was surprisingly good and in some reps it was more like old school push press. It started to become a battle at around 70kg. 75 was tough, for 77.5kg I was able to produce pure rage and the bar just flew up. At 80kg I didn't maintain that rage and couldn't take it up. I wanted to take another try, on which I managed to jerk / press the bar to full extension. I still had some hunger left to go for PR lift of 82.5kg, however I guess my stomache was full enough and the attempt failed.

Toni did the same mental job at 82.5kg which is his old press PR. He took it up, tried 85kg which failed, a short pause and another try, result 85kg pressed up. C'mon!

Push press, 85kg, Toni, PR

2 comments: