Saturday, February 16, 2013

Saturday 16.2: Bench press

Saturday. Bench press 5-5-5-5-5-5-1-1-1 (max PR 92.5kg).

Agenda for today was to go for one hard core benchmark workout that would beaten me for sure, no doubt about it. However, yesterday my throat got sore and I'm not feeling 100% because of a in-crawling flu. I didn't want to risk anything by doing a metcon so I concentrated in strength training today. Haven't done bench in a while so it was about time!



Strength. Bench press 6x5 plus additional singles. 5-5-5-5-5-5 (70, 75, 80, 80, 80, 80kg) + singles 85, PR 90kg, PR 92.5kg).

It was also time to PR this one. It was back in Sweden in November. I have done it only occasionally since then. Because of this my goal today was far away from going after personal record. I wanted to do 5x5 with heavy weights. During the strength training I wanted to add the stakes. I started with 70, then 75kg. I decided to stick with 80kg for the rest of the sets. Because it felt so awesome, I wanted to go for another set to finish 6x5. I still felt an urge to go further. I put 85kg on the bar in an attempt of a single rep, which turned out ridiculously easy. My previous max was 87.5kg. Today I skipped it and went straight for 90kg, new PR attempt. Take a look below.

Bench, 90kg

I felt stable and confident and I felt it's coming up way too easy considering it's a PR attempt. I was positively surprised I was able to do this after 30 heavy reps already. Well, I added weights and tried 95kg twice. You find the videos in my Youtube channel. The first one might have come up without help, the other one had no chance. Pauliina suggested to drop 2.5kg and go for 92.5kg and I did. Take a look below, new PR. I'm extremely satisfied for today's effort. New maxes were created and I haven't even been practicing bench for a while.

Bench, 92.5kg

Cashout. Dips and triceps, total of 60 each. For quality, not for time.

  • 5 rounds of
  • 12 dips
  • 12 triceps
My cashout today was a nice addition to bench press. More effort for chest, shoulders and triceps. 60 dips, 60 triceps in 5 rounds. No need to rush, concentrate in quality and unbrokenness. I also had the possibility to train kipping dips in the last two rounds as it started to feel heavy.


Dips
In the evening we'll celebrate our one year anniversary with Pauliina by eating at legendary Hard Rock Cafe and enjoying stand up show =)


1 comment:

  1. Toni is still spending time in bed and trying to recover from his flu.

    ReplyDelete