Saturday, February 9, 2013

Saturday 9.2: Technique + Game Day

Saturday. Technique training + Game Day.

In the evening I'll have a floorball game coming up so we went to the gym in the morning with Pauliina. My goal was to take it easy, no strength training nor metcons, just focus on some technical issues with empty barbell. I wanted to open up my body and prepare it for the evening's main event. Toni has a rest day but tomorrow is awaiting with one heck of a workout ready for him.



  • Row 1k
  • Ring skills
  • Squat snatch
  • Split jerk
  • Double unders


Split jerk

I started the morning with rowing 1 kilometer for 3.36. Then some classical warm-up with pvc pipe and continuing with high pulls with empty barbell. I wanted to play with the rings for a while after my upper body was warmed up. Mentally I did some muscle-ups but once I took a false grip on the rings I felt immediately the difficulty level was way beyond today's effort. That grip feels very heavy on my wrists, it somehow feels very tough to hold on to the rings with that false grip. And it is prerequisite for completing muscle-ups. I must get someone to teach me on this one. Maybe my bro who can already do this.

For some time I took power snatches, then continued on squatting just a little bit on each snatch. After each snatch I squatted a bit more until I finally made some successful squat snatches =) I realized my stance is too wide when I snatch which makes it impossible for me to squat snatch. I compared it to my overhead squat where my stance is somewhat narrower. By altering the width I was finally able to squat snatch. C'mon!

A tip from Pauliina: "practice that split jerk so you could put more weight on the jerk, how does that sound?" Sounds good to me! The distance between an athlete's right and left leg should be about the same as when he does a lunge. I put two small plates on the floor to mark where my legs should land after the jump. After watching the video below I noticed I have some difference between legs. When I throw my left leg forward, it lands perfectly in 90 degrees angle to my knee and my right leg behind me lands on the marked spot. When I do it vice versa, my right foot doesn't go as much forward as it should, and thus my right knee escapes a bit too far away over my ankle. And of course left leg doesn't go as much back as it should. Better keep on working on both sides and especially focus on keeping the ankle/knee degrees correct. The camera never lies =)

Split jerk technique training



No comments:

Post a Comment