Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Wednesday 20.2: Clean and Jerk

Wednesday. Clean & Jerk (max PR 82.5kg).

It was about time to go for clean and jerks. I love this movement a lot. It's only been one week since last time but I'm all constantly looking forward to doing c&j again. There was about one month break in December that I didn't do them at all because of minor injury. Once I got back in action, it's been a pleasure! Today I accidentally hit a PR =)

Strength. Various sets, max PR 82.5kg
  • 5 hang clean + 5 jerk, 40kg
  • 5 hang clean + 5 jerk, 60kg
  • 5 x clean & jerk, 70kg
  • 3 x clean & jerk, 75kg
  • 1 x clean & jerk, 80kg
  • failed clean & jerk, 85kg, twice
  • 1 x clean & jerk, 82.5kg, PR
I started the workout by doing 5 hang cleans and 5 jerks after that without adjusting my grip in between. For starters I did it with 40kg and 60kg. Then I started to do regular clean & jerks, 5 reps with 70kg, 3 reps with 75kg, probably never done as many reps with 75kg I suppose.

I was fizzing around for a while and collected my confidence and went for my old record of 80kg. It has traditionally been quite a struggle but today that was surprisingly easy so I decided to add load. I asked Pony whether to add 2.5kg or 5kg. He thought 85kg would come up, and so did I. I was so sure it would come up at least to my chest. The first attempt was a bit pathetic but the second one came well, not as high as it should have so I couldn't turn myself under the barbell. Take a look at the attempts in Youtube. Here's the successful 80kg lift.

Clean & Jerk, 80kg
Because the 80 was rather easy, I wanted to add stakes anyway even though 5kg was too much. As a compromise 82.5kg was a successful lift all the way up, clean and jerk. A new max was created! The jerk part of it wasn't a beauty, it came up through a mental battle but hey, it still came up, everything counts =) It felt damned good!



Clean & Jerk, 82.5kg, PR

In the evening I had floorball with my team.

Toni's workouts. rounds + 5 front squats
  • 15min amrap of
  • 5 front squats, 60kg, starting the barbell from ground
  • 10 burpees
  • 20 double unders
There were a lot of people today at the Box which forced Toni to wait for access to the barbell at times. Plus he still feels the weekend's tax on his body / throat. I bet he would have done better if he was in good shape. You'll find one of his front squat sets below.


Front squats, Toni


1 comment: