Friday, March 1, 2013

Friday 1.3: Presses, metcon

Friday. Shoulder press (max 65kg), push press (max 70kg). Metcon of box jumps and 25kg dumbbell snatches, time 6.00.

Push press, 70kg

For the first time this week we had the possibility to train at afternoon after work. My focus was on presses, it's been a while since I've done pure and old school presses, shoulder press and push press. Let the shoulders scream on this one. We took a double under battle with Toni for starters. Five rounds on which each round try to beat the other one's amount of unbroken double unders. The winner enjoys the look of the other one completing a few burpees. That was a good way to get some blood flowing in our bodies, good idea Toni =)

Shoulder press. Max set 65kg

  • 3+2, shoulder press + push jerk, 40kg
  • 3+2, shoulder press + push jerk, 50kg
  • 3+2, shoulder press + push jerk, 55kg
  • 3 shoulder press, 60kg
  • 1 shoulder press, 65kg
  • 2 failed attempts of shoulder press pr, 67.5kg

I liked this one! However, i could have been smarter with the reps. My initial plan was to do 7x3 push press when I entered the Box. As I was warming up it felt good to so shoulder presses that I had to continue with them. I could have taken some more 3-rep sets at 60kg to get more reps at shoulder press. I also tried a new record at 67.5kg but failed on the explosive start. You'll see the videos on Youtube.

Shoulder press, 65kg

Push press. 5x3 (max 70kg)

  • 3 push press, 67.5kg
  • 3 push press, 70kg
  • 3 push press, 70kg
  • 3 push press, 70kg
  • 2 push press, 70kg + 2 failed attempts on the third rep.

Right after those two failed attempts I push pressed it up. There's a tremendous difference on the weights when you compare shoulder and push press, the latter with the same kilos was easy. On shoulder press you're not allowed to use any drive from legs. Lower body must stay still and you'll have to create power solely from upper body. At that pr attempt I was not able to get under the barbell so I couldn't get it up.

Push press, 70kg

My focus with push presses was not to search for maxes but remain at 70kg and do a few sets. At the last I got 2 reps and tried desperately to get that third rep without success. Well, anyway I'm satisfied to today's training, I got a good number of repetitions for my shoulders and gave them the possibility to get stronger. I wasn't over with my training, I still wanted a metcon.



Metcon. Time 6.00.

  • 6 rounds of
  • 10 box jumps, 64cm
  • 10 dumbbell snatches, 25kg, alternating hands
Metcon consisted of 10 box jumps and 10 alternating hands snatches with dumbbells. I upgraded the weights to 25kg. It was a good weight, I must say. I've used 20kg before but this definitely was better considering the amount of reps. My goal was to do this workout unbroken, had to take a quick break after 4 rounds. On the box jumps I focused on reaching full extension at the top to reach full range of motion. This is disputable that is it required or would it be enough to get on the box, then jump off it and extend yourself in the air while still having entire body over the box level. Anyway, I wanted to straighten myself while standing on the box.

I'm happy my breathing stayed under control even though this made my heart beat fast. Take a look at the workout yourself and make conclusions on the entity.


Metcon

Toni's workouts.

  • Clean & jerk 5-5-5-3-3-3 (60, 60, 60, 70, 70, 70kg)
  • Clean 1-1 (80, 80kg)
  • 2 failed attempts of clean, 85kg

Clean & jerk, 60kg

Here's Toni doing his clean & jerks. You'll find more of his action in Youtube. He also practiced his first pistols ever in the beginning of training day. I'm proud, period.

Clean & jerk, 70kg, Toni



1 comment:

  1. There has been a while since the last time I did some c & j with heavy kilos. Maybe because of that I was only able to lift 80 kg (my pr is 85). I had two failed reps with 85. But I'm happy about improvements in my form.

    Pistol squat...It seemed like a very challenging movement and I think it requires some extra training to handle it. Just have to remember to train those constantly.

    A little flu has been teasing me for the last two weeks but now I'm getting better. Just about the time because Open's are here in few days!!!

    ReplyDelete