Monday, March 11, 2013

Monday 11.3: Deadlift metcon

Monday. 15min amrap of deadlifts, box jumps and toes-to-rings. Result 7 rounds + 9 T2R, 234 reps.

My upper hamstrings were killing me in the morning as I woke up because of yesterday's squats. I'm still smiling after having done those squats concentrating in quality, at least in my opinion =) I really felt the hip flexors and hamstrings stretching more than normally and hopefully this is the right path to better lower body mobility. Today's programming stated a 15min metcon, main strength element was deadlift, together with box jumps and a newcomer, toes-to-rings. Toni did the same workout except the last movement was replaced with toes-to-bar.

Handstand training

Metcon. Result 6 rounds + 9 toes-to-rings. Total of 204 reps.
  • 15min amrap of
  • 5 deadlifts, 102.5kg
  • 10 box jumps, 64cm
  • 15 toes-to-rings
I had a total of 204 reps consisting of 35 deadlifts, 70 box jumps and 99 toes-to-rings. Why put 102.5kg on the bar? That's 225lbs (102.3kg), which is sometimes used as weight in benchmark workouts. I have never done deadlifts with this weight, usually it's around 120kg in a metcon. I wanted to test it out if the bar would be easy to keep bouncing up and down continuously for 15min. For example Diane (21-15-9, deadlift and hspu) uses these 225lbs or 102.5kg. We did this together with Toni so we wanted the bar to be rather easy to lift for both of us.

Deadlifts were not bad at all as I thought beforehand. Don't know what would happen in Diane as you have so many reps to go in all sets, 21 reps, then 15 and 9, hopefully unbroken… Box jumps also were done unbroken. Nowadays I'm extending my body entirely to full extension each time when I jump on the box. This is done because I don't want to be "no rep'd" in vain.

Toes-to-rings were the most demanding movement of all these. On the first round I went unbroken. On the second round 10+5. Then from third round on I always did at least 6 reps in first attempt, then in smaller sets. My abs and upper quads were going numb at some point of the workout.

I don't which one is tougher, doing this last movement with the rings or with a pull-up bar. Doing it with pull-up bar you stay more stable, with the rings you swing more and maybe have to do more work with abdominal muscles. Don't know, go figure

Toes-to-rings

Toni's workout. Result 4 rounds + 8 toes-to-bars. Total of 143 reps.
  • 15min amrap of
  • 5 deadlifts, 102.5kg
  • 10 box jumps, 64cm
  • 15 toes-to-bar
Toni had a total of 143 reps in total consisting of 25 deadlifts, 50 box jumps and 68 toes-to-rings. In the end of the training session he practiced handstand push-ups for a while.

In the evening I went to play floorball with my team. Still one more game to go in the regular season. Then we'll see if there are playoffs waiting for us.


No comments:

Post a Comment