Monday, March 4, 2013

Monday 4.3: Weighted pull-ups, hip thrusters

Monday. Weighted pull-ups 3x10, floor press 3x6, hip thrusters 4x10.

Yesterday's workout - hero workout Coe - really has its after aftershock on my body today. The combination of thrusters and ring dips have caused my triceps to be extremely sore right now and back squats and thrusters made the same feeling on my legs. Every time I love this feeling as much even though it hurts like hell =) Hopefully I can do my olympic lifting training tomorrow as planned.

I've done much more benchmark / hero / challenge workouts lately compared to history. The reason for that is my goal to achieve better muscular stamina and I genuinely believe this is the correct road. These type of workouts are cruel and effective. Today's agenda after yesterday's hard work was a notch easier. Weighted pull-ups, then first touch to floor press and couple of sets of hip thrusters. Toni did a 20min amrap of modified hero wod Coe.

Hip thrusters @ 60kg

Weighted pull-ups. 3x10 (9kg vest). I've done weighted pull-ups and dips earlier but today was the first time I did pull-ups with my vest, which weights 9kg. I took 3 sets, 10 reps each time. Could've also put more effort on training chest-to-bar pull-ups (C2B) but this was my choice today.

Weighted pull-ups @ 9kg

Floor press. 3x6 (40, 60, 60kg), just trying to get familiar with the movement. After pull-ups I realized my triceps were still burning from Coe so I didn't start to load the barbell with heavy weights. My focus was to get used to this movement, never tried it before. The difference between bench press and floor press is the range of motion. Floor prevents you from lowering the bar all the way to chest so the main focus of this one is to focus on the pressing power in the middle to top position. Pretty much the same if you did deadlift from a rack, from knee level to full extension.

Floor press @ 60kg
Hip thrusters. 4x10 reps (60, 60, 60, 80kg). I remember doing hip thrusters once or twice about half a year ago. This is a good supportive movement to create explosive power in the hips. In this set I realized my heels are too far away from my rear. To place the heels closer demands also a greater push from the hips, simultaneously you get better positioning and more stable stance. I corrected my position after this first set. I was able to move that last set of 80kg as easy as the 60kg ones. I believe this is a good movement to take on once in a while.

Hip thrusters @ 60kg

Toni's workouts. Modified Coe, result 6 rounds + 10 thrusters.

  • 20 min amrap
  • 10 thrusters, 42.5kg
  • 10 dips

Instead of going for 10 full rounds Toni subbed this to 20min amrap, which may have been a smart decision. Another adjustment was to replace ring dips with regular dips. Toni, you can give your own comments on this one, did you like it? Do your hands and legs scream for pain? 6 1/2 rounds of pure pain =)


1 comment: