Saturday, March 16, 2013

Saturday 16.3: CF Open 13.2

Saturday. CF Open 13.2. Result 230 reps. 7 rounds + 5 box jumps.

We've been nervous about this workout for days with Toni! We scheduled this workout for today 'cause there aren't that many people at our Box on Saturdays. This week wasn't that tough towards the end of it. Sunday's squats and squat metcon was tough and I really felt it in my hamstrings. Also Monday's and Wednesday's metcons were good cardio workouts. Yesterday I only took some step-ups and double unders to get my heart beat but I feel my body was well prepared for this one. Toni also took it light yesterday. Pauliina joined the training and encouraged us in our workouts.

Stage is set and 13.2 going on

Workout 13.2. Result 230 reps. 7 rounds + 5 box jumps.

  • 10 min amrap of
  • 5 shoulder-to-overhead, 52.5kg
  • 10 deadlifts, 52.5kg
  • 15 box jumps, 61cm

This was a classic workout. Looks easy on paper but once you put the timer on, the reality hits you fast in your face. From the third round on my legs had to pay the toll on box jumps. Cardio action was in play from early on but that was something that simply had to be put on the background. Box jumps were clearly the toughest one on this workout and at least my legs were burning.

The first movement, shoulder-to-overhead, didn't matter which way you move the barbell up and down. You may shoulder press, push press, push jerk or split jerk, you name it. I went through with push presses and push jerks all the way. Even though the weight was light, I had thoughts beforehand this would turn out to be heavy mid-way in. Positively surprised I had no problems with this one.



This was the first time ever we were doing deadlifts with weights this light. I went unbroken with both the presses and deadlifts. I only had one no-rep on the last set of deadflits as the bar didn't hit the ground so I decided to play it safe and take one extra one. On the last boxes I didn't count the last one (sixth) because I lost my balance and was not able to extend to full range of motion.

Box jumps were the ones that probably make the difference between athletes. You must extend the hips all the way once over the box so there's a small stop before you can jump back down and repeat the movement. It's been advised to have your rest moments up on the box, not on the ground. It's way more taxing to slump down and then catch energy to jump again. That's why I had my rest periods on top of the box.



My fears of this workout were justified. This was a rough workout. Not that much strength involving but a classic cardio and metabolic training. Considering it's only 10 minutes you have no other chance but to go full throttle from the very beginning. For sure the pace is going to slow down but there's not much to strategize because of the time domain. I got 10 box jumps short of 8 rounds and I'm happy to that result. I don't know what I could have done better in this workout. Had to sit down for a few seconds after boxes because I felt my legs do not carry me anymore =) I'm happy I was able to keep the flow going constantly.


CF Open 13.2, Don


Cashout. After some rest I did some squats and pull-ups for quality.

  • 3 rounds of
  • 10 back squats, 60kg
  • 10 pull-ups


Toni's 13.2. Result 180 reps. Exactly 6 rounds.

Toni took the first turn today. He took a proper warm-up before we arrived to the Box and was eager to start moving barbells around. Toni's shoulder-to-overhead movements were something between shoulder and push press. Deadlifts were visibly the easiest one for him. On the box jumps he had some issues and decided to modify it to step-ups from third round on. It would help a lot by having the rest periods on top of the box once you need them. And everybody seems to need them in a workout around 100 box jumps =)



It was awesome to see he did the barbell work just like that, with a steady pace for the entire 10 minutes. And once he got psyched up he was able to shorten the breaks in the workout and no need to catch a breath for long periods. And on the fifth and sixth round he was able to pace it up and improve his time compared to the earlier ones! I say that's mental strength.


CF Open, Pony


1 comment:

  1. This was totally different kind of pain than 13.1. This was about how fast you can do the movements. My goal was to hit at least 6 rounds so this went just like I planned. Maybe I should planned to nail seven because this is a mental game :-). Don's result is amazing. Happy to witness that great battle of mind and muscle.

    Today I had an "easier day" and new squat PR was born!

    ReplyDelete