Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Tuesday 5.3: Clean and jerk

Tuesday. Clean & jerk 4 sets (max 70kg), clean 3 sets (max PR 85kg).

Today the spot was Liikuntamylly indoor sports center in eastern Helsinki. Their facilities are perfect for oly lifts which was my main goal for today. My plan stated to go clean & jerk first, then continue with snatches, the two olympic lifts. Program also said I was supposed to practice handstand walk because the place is made for that purpose. My triceps and upper arms from elbows up are in flames because of that Coe I did on Sunday. That's why I stopped after clean & jerk to prevent injuries. Got to be icing those arms today to get them back on track again.

Strength. Started as clean & jerk but my jerking power was a bit lost so I continued with cleans.
  • Clean & jerk, 3x60, 3x60, 3x70, 2x70kg (failed on the second jerk)
  • Clean, 3x75, 3x80, 1x85kg (PR)
My warm-up today included running the 200m track for a while, then 3x20 wall balls with short break between sets, stretching, then barbell warm-up: clean high-pulls, cleans, front squats, shoulder presses, back squats, shoulder presses behind the neck and snatches. I had put on my Rogue's PR shirt today so I had a good feeling about the training session ahead of me =)

My cleans were rolling today from the very beginning. I had no troubles in bringing the barbell up to my chest, even those 70kg reps were easy. Some time ago they would have been very tough ones. Now I was able to do 3 reps with 80kg which is definitely something I haven't been able to do ever, not even 2 in a row.

Clean, 3x80kg


I had no other chance but to crush my old record and update it to 85kg. I'm confident to hit 90kg this year. What I should be doing better is to be faster in going under the bar. And more strength to the movement starting from my legs. They should generate velocity for the barbell to go faster and higher. And bring the elbows high immediately. It's easy to say these thing after watching the video but while the load is near maxes it's not that easy to make all these adjustments live in just one second.


Clean, 85kg, PR


After December's injury problems I believe my clean technique has become better and the weights feel lighter for some reason. There may be more explosiveness compared to earlier or maybe there's just been more reps and thus my body has become more receptive to this movement. I have had the possibility now in February to train cleans or clean & jerks every week, which pleases me a lot!

I'm on a holiday this week and Toni is driving around Finland because of work so let's wait and hear if he has done his training for today at the hotel. Hopefully you have found good spot to train hard!

2 comments:

  1. If you see you will find. Well I didn't find a perfect box but I there was a room with rower. I had a 20 minute amrap with 500 row/20 push ups and 20 air squats. My score was five full rounds and almost puke in my mouth. My hands are really hurting now. I'm hoping that there is no push ups in first Crossfit Open event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. * if you seek you will find

    ReplyDelete