Monday, April 8, 2013

Monday 8.4: Clean & jerk, front squat

Monday. Clean & jerk 5x5 (max 70kg). Front squat 5x5 (max 100kg).

Today was The Day! We have been waiting for this one with eagerness and it surely was no disappointment. The venue we occupied today was something spectacular. Not the home Box, it was one of the Helsinki's weightlifting club's places. The circumstances are perfect for olympic lifts, no doubt about it. This is exactly what we have been looking and it was definitely not the last time we are going to this place to workout. My program stated clean & jerk strength training and some semi-heavy front squats as well. Toni's focus was on snatches and deadlift.

Ruskeasuo weighlifting

Strength. Clean & jerk + front squats.

  • Clean & jerk 5x5 (70, 70, 70, 70, 70kg)
  • Front squat 5x5 (90, 100, 100, 100, 100kg)

Today's focus was purely on strength training. I loved the atmosphere at the spot and it probably boosted both of ours concentration in the strength movements. It would have been nice to see what would have happened if we tried to hit max loads with single lifts. However, my goal was to do sets of 5 reps and I wanted to keep that 70kg on the barbell as I knew it's getting tougher the closer we get to the end. Doing 5x5 with that weight really put some stress on my forearms as I tried to complete the reps without adjusting my grip between reps. Tough indeed but very satisfied after the training! I took some split jerks to practice that but mostly I did regular jerks.

Resting 5 minutes and continuing to front squats. I mostly did sets with 100kg, didn't want to push to max limits this time. I got these up well. I was kinda expecting to have a metcon after these strength movements but this day didn't include that one. Let's see what tomorrow brings us!

Toni's workouts. Power snatches and deadlift.

  • Power snatch 5x40, 5x40, 5x40, 5x40, 3x50, 2x50, 2x50kg
  • Deadlift 5x120, 5x120, 5x120, 3x130kg

Toni's technique has improved in snatches, today I realized that. The path of the barbell from ground to overhead looks way better and goes up closer to his body in good vertical line. I would have liked to take a video of his reps but didn't dare to take any at this place since it was the first time we practiced there.

Tony the Pony


1 comment:

  1. I love this place. Atmosphere and the smell of fresh and old sweat gave me an extra boost. I'm happy about my snatches. There has been a while since the last time but today it felt very natural.

    ReplyDelete