Saturday, April 20, 2013

Saturday 20.4: Front squats, metcons

Saturday. Front squat (max 125kg), 5rds of barbell work, cashing out with du's and k2e's.

What a beautiful day in Helsinki! Spring is coming, sun is shining and it was a perfect day to work hard! Training session in the morning and recovery stroll outdoors afterwards with Pauliina. Toni tagged along at the Box for another long metcon.



Strength. Front squat 5x3 (100, 110, 120, 125 failed, 115kg). On 125 managed only 1 rep. Felt good front squatting today. I'm trying to let it go beyond parallel and with front squats it's way easier than back squats. I'm happy with how I performed up to 120kg. On 125kg I got only 1 rep, should have forced that second rep up as well. Here are some videos of 110-120kg sets.

Front squat, 110kg


Front squat, 120kg


Metcon. 40kg on the barbell, 1 bar.

  • 5 rounds of:
  • 4 shoulder press
  • 8 sumo deadlift high-pull
  • 12 front squats
  • 40kg on the barbell

Didn't put the clock running but fought through like it was. I did a few sets before I really started it because Toni was in the middle of his 20min amrap and we were doing the barbell work at the same spot. From that I knew it's not gonna be a stroll in the park. Even though the bar wasn't heavy, the amount of reps makes it nasty.

Shoulder press means no leg assistance is allowed, purely press it up. Haven't been doing many sumo deadlift high-pulls at all, probably only when doing Fight Gone Bad. That weight sounds ridiculously light for front squats but it surely wasn't! Had to take short breaks between rounds to catch my breath. This was a workout that really put my respiration to test, the toughest I've had in a while. It felt awful and good at the same time, just like a proper crossfit workout should feel =) I completed all movements unbroken.

Cashout.

  • 5 rounds of:
  • 30 double unders
  • 10 knees-to-elbows

Total of 150 DU and 50 K2E. First round of double unders was difficult for me for some reason. I stumbled with the jump rope maybe three times before completing it. At some point it felt like my calves were about to cramp. Luckily it went by. Then the rest of the rounds were unbroken except one where I got 27 reps before making a stupid mistake. Knees-to-elbows unbroken. This one also took some effort on the heart because of the double under jumping.

All in all, this was a training session where my heart was pumping rapidly. I got a good strength training to start off and then these two metcons were perfect for me today. In the afternoon we took a recovery walk together with Pauliina in a vernal Helsinki.

Pauliina's headstand on a dancing pole =)

Toni's workouts. Result. 8 rounds + 2 reps. Total of 322 reps.

  • 20min amrap of:
  • 5 snatches, 30kg
  • 10 knees-to-elbows on rings
  • 25 double unders



No comments:

Post a Comment