Saturday, April 27, 2013

Saturday 27.4: Seven

Saturday. Seven. 40min time cap. Result 6 rds + 2 hspu. Toni 4 rds + 7 k2e.

Horrible workout, period. Schedule stood Seven. I wasn't at my best in the morning, Tony was saying the same thing but we stuck to the plan and went for this one. And I'm super happy we did that! This was all we needed to do for today's workout, it's a hero workout and that says it all, it's gonna be brutal.

Stage is set
Seven. 6rds + 2 hspu. Toni 4rds + 7 k2e. 40min time cap.

  • 7 rounds of:
  • 7 hspu
  • 7 thrusters, 60kg
  • 7 K2E
  • 7 deadlift, 110kg
  • 7 burpees
  • 7 kettlebell swings (american), 32kg (2 pood)
  • 7 pull-ups
  • 40min time cap


This is a hero wod dedicated to 7 CIA officers who were killed by a suicide bomber 2009. The point of hero workouts is to remind us we are happy to be alive and breathing and simultaneously to reach those limits a human can achieve through training. I believe at points I was on my limits of consciousness, felt very weak at points and had to pour cold water on my head. I still enjoyed the feeling of this one tremendously, I'm proud we did it with Pony. We defined a 40min time cap before the workout. I'm disappointed I didn't make it through, even though not missing much of it.

thruster warm-up

Let's look at the different movements. Handstand push-ups first. 1st round unbroken, on the second round the movement became much more difficult. On the 3rd I had problems, it was something like doubles or singles. But, from then on the last rounds I was able to push through 4-5 reps unbroken on first attempt. That brought me a lot of confidence towards the movement. I felt very tired but was still able to force those reps successfully. This movement was a bottleneck time-wise.



After muscle consuming movement like that it wasn't the most appealing thing to move on to 60kg thrusters =) First round unbroken, then in 2 sets. Don't remember how it went in the beginning but the last rounds it was 4+3 reps, probably pretty much like that all the way. Knees-to-elbows was rest period for me, didn't feel like I was doing anything, there were only 7 reps of them so it was quickly over. Deadlift went unbroken all the way, the weight was very manageable.

Seven, first round from both of us

All the rest movements went unbroken as well, burpees, kettlebell swings and pull-ups, they weren't that bad. It was very awkward that even though the movement itself - for example kb swing - was not demanding on my strength or breathing but the second I stopped doing it and dropped the weight, I wasn't able to grab the pull-up bar immediately. I had to lean on my knees for a while and get a hold on myself. I talked to Toni after the workout and my bro as well and they both said the same thing. It was kind of a stress that was relieved after completing the reps. I don't know but that was weird.


What are those lumps on Pony's legs? =)


With all that said, I'd say there were too much rest periods between movements. I was able to do the movements unbroken except for handstand push-ups and thrusters but I had to stop and catch my breath once in a while. That means to say I have to keep on improving on those hspu's and metabolic conditioning. Lot of metcons are ahead of me, benchmark workouts and some hero workouts.

Toni did the same workout with same weights. The only thing he scaled was the hspu. He put a foam roll under him, that's about 15cm I guess. Toni managed to do 4 full rounds and 7 k2e on the fifth round. This was the first time he's ever done thrusters with 60kg.

Afterwards we went to Vermo's horse racetrack with Toni and couple of friends to enjoy this different type of sport, we had a blast and managed to get some euros in our pockets as well for betting the right "athletes". It was a spectacular event and sun was mostly shining, couldn't have wished for more from this Saturday!





No comments:

Post a Comment