Saturday, April 6, 2013

Saturday 6.4: Snatch, snatch pull, squat, metcon

Saturday. Snatch 6x5 (max 50kg), snatch pull 5x5 (max 70kg), back squat 5x3 (max 120kg). Metcon of rowing and burpees.



This was day number 3 of Diane Fu's oly lift day. Three strength elements for one day is a lot and it's difficult to get the best out of each of them. I managed to get 2/3 well =) In addition I took a metcon, which only purpose was to get my heart pumping wildly. Toni had a rest day.

Strength. Snatch, snatch pull and back squat.

  • Snatch 6x5 (40, 50, 50, 50, 50, 50kg)
  • Snatch pull 5x5 (60, 70, 70, 70, 70kg)
  • Back squat 5x3 (100, 110, 120, 120, 120kg)

Snatches went well. One month ago 52.5kg was my PR number. Then, in Crossfit Open 13.1 I managed to push through some barriers and create a successful 60kg lift. I believe I've snatched only 2 times after that? The previous one was earlier this week. Then I did triples with 50kg, today managed to go for 5 x 5's with same weights. Extremely happy to the results! See below for one set of snatches.

Snatch, 5x50kg

The second strength element was a new one for me, snatch pull. It is a supportive movement for snatch, similar elements can be utilized for cleans as well. Had no idea what weights would be right suitable for me so I started with 60kg and then upgrading it to 70kg. This seemed like a good idea. I believe I could have pulled a bit heavier load but there was another thing to consider here, as my grip started to get slippery. I thought about trying the last set with 80kg but left it to future.

Snatch pull, 5x70kg

After having taken quite a number of snatch-related sets I moved on to back squats. My lower back was stiff from the very beginning after the snatches and squats didn't feel that good today. 120kg was surprisingly heavy and I didn't troy go beyond that weight. Two out of three went very well, the last strength element was more like a semi result.

Metcon. Time 11.24

  • 4 rounds of:
  • 500m row
  • 15 burpees

My goal was to make my heart scream and I reached this goal just perfectly. I was very happy with the way I was able to carry out this workout. Pace for the rowing was constantly between 1.45-1.50, mostly around 1.48 as I recall. All 60 burpees went unbroken all the way. I was also happy with the transitions. Once I stopped rowing I didn't stay catching my breath, instead I forced my chest down for the first burpee. Once the first burpee was done, there's no reason to stop moving. After burpees I tried to get a grip on the rowing handle as soon as I had the straps on my feet. I'm pleased that I didn't waste that much time and forced myself to keep moving. Good training day so to say!

No comments:

Post a Comment