Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Tuesday 2.4: Jerk, Snatch, OHS, metcon

Tuesday. Push jerk 5x3 (70kg), snatch 5x3 (50kg), overhead squat 5x5 (50kg). Metcon 6 min emom of double unders and 25kg dumbbell snatches.

I got inspired by oly lift / crossfit coach Diane Fu's article concerning olympic lifts and felt obsessive in trying it out. Let's see how my body feels after doing some training with her training ideology. Today it felt very good! Jerks, snatches and overhead squats, finishing with EMOM type training.

Jerk, 70kg

Strength. Jerk, snatch and ohs.

  • Push jerk 5x3 (70kg each set)
  • Snatch 5x3 (50kg each set)
  • Overhead squat 5x5 (50kg each set)

I had decided on the weights beforehand and was able to do them as written on paper. 70kg jerks weren't that bad, I'm very satisfied they were that "light". My technique in jerks has taken some giant leaps and nowadays they look like jerks, not presses. Next step would be to take split jerks into my training regularly with heavy weights but that requires another box where weights are allowed to be dropped. It brings confidence when you know that's ok to drop it if you can't hold it anymore.

I'm more proud of my snatches. In crossfit open 13.1 I was able to PR my snatch to 60kg but before that I had taken 50kg up once and 52.5kg once. There has happened some good things as I was able to do 5 sets of 3 reps unbroken. It felt awesome! I continued to the last strength element today which was overhead squats.

I took the barbell from ground, snatched it up, adjusted my stance and form, then started descending. Managed to do 5x5 with 50kg, nice! I believe each rep I overhead squat, improves my mobility as I feel the tension in my back muscles.

Metcon. Dumbbell snatches and double unders.

  • Every minute on the minute for 6 minutes
  • 20 double unders, then
  • As many reps as possible in the remaining minute of dumbbell snatches, 25kg, alternating hands.

Some snatches in the end, spiced with double unders to make breathing go heavier. Thinking it afterwards, I should have gone for 10 minutes but this was tough anyway. I used 25kg dumbbell to make it heavier on the snatches. This was a good training day and I'm feeling good now to start training hard!

Clean, 87.5kg, Toni

Toni's workouts. Clean and back squat strength.

  • Clean, EMOM
  • 60kg for 5min
  • 65kg for 5min
  • 70kg for 5min
  • 75kg for 5min
  • 80kg for 5min
  • 85kg for 5min
  • Failed attempts on 90kg so he tried 87.5kg and successfully got it up, new PR! Then,

Back squats 3-3-3-3-1 (95, 100, 105, 110, 115kg). He really made those 80kg and also 85kg cleans look effortless.


No comments:

Post a Comment