Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Wednesday 3.4: Deadlift, box / pull-up metcon

Wednesday. Deadlift 6x5 (max 160kg). Couplet of box jumps and pull-ups. Time 6.19.

Wednesday was clearly a good day to deadlift. Normally we train before work between 7.00-9.00 am on weekdays but for the last two days we've been at the box after work. No significant difference between the two times. Entourage included Pauliina and Pony.

Foam rolling after training

Strength. Deadlift 5-5-5-5-5-5 (140, 140, 140, 140, 150, 160kg). Last time I did purely deadlift strength training was 24th March. Compare the weights and workout to that day. I learned my lession and decided on the weights accordingly. I started with 140kg and thought about going all the way with that weight. However, after a few sets I felt I haven't left my everything at the gym so I added 10kg to reach 150kg. It felt very good so I added some more and completed the last set with 160kg. This was way better training that the previous one and weights were more suitable this time. And according to Pony, my form stayed good through the sets. Nice!

Metcon. Time 6.19.

  • 7 rounds of:
  • 10 box jumps, 61cm
  • 10 pull-ups

Some basic movements to make my body go through hard times. 70 box jumps and 70 pull-ups, simple and beautiful. Box jumps unbroken through all 7 sets. Pull-ups went unbroken for maybe 4 rounds after which it was mainly 2 attempts to reach 10 reps. I felt the pain (the good pain!) in my wings in the midst of the workout. I loved that agony because I know it strengthens my upper body and it gets used to high-rep pull-ups through these type of workouts.

After the workout I asked Toni to guess my time of the workout. He tried 6.19. Exactly my time, how is that possible? =) I suppose we pretty much know what we are capable of nowadays.

Toni's workouts.

  • Deadlift 5-5-5-5-5-3 (120, 125, 120, 120, 130, 140kg).
  • Metcon. 21-15-9, push press 40kg / burpees. Time 6.40

He took deadlifts for starters and renewed a workout he did last year, consisting of push presses and burpees. Toni had some issues with grip in the beginning but he managed to get a strong hold after taping his hands and was therefore able to add some weights as well. Compare his result with the previous metcon he did back in August. And take a look at the double under training while you're in there =)

1 comment:

  1. I was able to take 3 minutes away from my time. Last time it was 9.40 and now 6.40. I thinks it's possible for me to do this under 6 minute because today my burbees were slow. My shoulder is okay now but I felt some mild pain when doing the burbees so I did those "slowly".

    That taping really saved my day. It really made a difference.

    ReplyDelete