Thursday, May 9, 2013

Thursday 9.5: Olympic lifts

Thursday. Olympic lifts. Singles in clean & jerk (max 85kg), clean (max PR 92.5kg), snatch (max PR 62.5kg).

I had one clear goal for today: Personal Records! I put my PR shirt on and went to the Box with Pauliina. Because it's spring / summer time already and the weather was sunny, we took on our bikes and cycled instead of driving. It's anyway only 5-6 kilometers away so why not do it more often in the days off work. I had planned to do a benchmark wod as well - Elizabeth - but due to quite a number of repetitions in cleans and snatches, I felt I was done with training. In the end I did ring dips to make it up.



Strength. 85kg clean & jerk, 92.5kg clean, 62.5kg snatch.


Success!!! The only thing I wasn't able to nail was the jerk of 87.5kg. Clean felt easy the whole day. My warm-up was shorter because we cycled that +5km, then some pvc pipe lunges, squats and overhead squats before moving on to barbell warm-up. I did bear complex type of movements with empty bar and then some clean & jerks with 40 and 60kg before hitting the first single of 70kg. The jerks were easy up to 80kg but then 85kg was a tough one and 87.5kg didn't come all the way up. Could it have been that my motor wasn't still running on full throttle at that time, the shoulders were not as active as possible.



I was thinking about redoing it but since the clean felt superb I wanted to exploit that and try new numbers. So on clean & jerk I stayed with my current PR - 85kg. My previous clean max was 87.5kg so going for 90kg was a but scary, new digits were awaiting me. And it came up easily, what a feeling. Had no other choice but to keep on piling plates on the barbell and take it up. I got 92.5kg up as well and my smile was huge. Also tried 95kg and the bar lifted as high as it should be. I just couldn't bring it back enough, it stayed too much in front of me and therefore had to be dropped.






The final strength movement was the snatch. It didn't feel that light in the beginning but still was manageable and I got some great lifts. I've been doing sets with 50kg lately but in the Crossfit Games Open 13.1 I got that 60kg up to set a new PR in snatches. Today I was looking forward to get that weight up with better and evolved technique. Well, I don't know about the technique but I got it up =) And was able to go beyond to 62.5kg. I also tried 65kg but today was not the day for that.



All in all, it was a great day of olympic lifting!!! You'll find quite a number of videos in Youtube. For some reason there are problems in attaching own videos from youtube to these posts. Same problem occurred yesterday. They are in tube but cannot be added to the post. I added links to some of my lifts so it's easier for you guys to see them.


Ring dips. 8x10 reps.
Some toes-to-rings in the end. There's also a video of my ring dips behind the same route.




1 comment: