Saturday, July 20, 2013

Saturday 20.7: clean singles, pair chipper

Saturday. Clean singles (max PR 100kg!). Pair wod, chipper, 40 c&j, 40 box, 40 snatch, 40 burpees, 40 ohs, 40 t2b.

Entourage: me, Pauliina and Pony. We were thinking about doing those cleans as emom type training, heavy single every 30 or 60 seconds for 10 minutes but Pony wanted to hit singles today. No prob, that proved to be a good call. After strength we decided to take a pair workout, including barbell action and bodyweight movements to accompany the main moves. A good one as well.



Strength. 5x70, 2x80, 1x85, 1x90, 1x95, 1x97.5kg (PR), 1x100kg (PR). The bar was light or then I was simply strong. Go figure, but it went perfectly! For starters we did some reps with lighter weights, 60 & 70kg squat cleans. After 80kg I started to take singles. I felt very good all the way, from the very beginning. My legs didn't feel stiff at all even though there was some serious leg work done yesterday. My upper back hasn't done work with bars in a while so it was also prepared for this day.

90kg was extremely easy and I started to feel if this day would be written in the stars. Next step - 95kg - previous record weight. Easy as well. Hmm… Pony said it's gonna be a day of 3-digit numbers today for sure. I got that mental boost and huge confidence after that lift and I knew for sure I'm gonna make a PR but didn't dare to think I'm gonna hit 100kg. After 97.5kg I felt it's definitely possible. If there's no technical errors I'm gonna make that magical lift. And I did. That total 2 PR's today. First one was 97.5 and right after 100kg. Very happy!!!




Pair chipper.
  • 40 clean & jerk, 60kg
  • 40 box jumps, 61cm
  • 40 snatches, 50kg
  • 40 burpees
  • 40 overhead squats, 40kg
  • 40 toes-to-bar

I had planned to do this workout solo with 20 reps each. Once we were at the Box we decided to double the reps and do it as a pair wod. You go, I go. We split the reps so that in clean & jerks 5 reps alternating, 5 snatches alternating and on the ohs I went in unbroken sets of 10's. Toni had some issues with that movement, other than that he also went pretty much as planned. On the bodyweight movements we did 20 reps in a row before letting the other guy do his 20 reps.



The strength movements were perfect. Exactly what I wanted and needed. However, on the bodyweight movements the reps were too low. Okay, it's not nice to do burpees ever but still, there were too few of them. I had planned 20 reps per move when going solo. But, as we paired up, there came those break moments when the other guy performed his movements. Only one athlete going at a time. So considering that, there should have been more box jumps, burpees and t2e's. I could have welcomed 60 reps each. Would have increased the toughness level on this one and probably those snatches and overhead squats would have felt totally different after that many reps.

Had I done this alone, then probably 20 reps each would have been just fine because there wouldn't be those reps periods practically at all. Only the ones that you need to have to catch a breath. Now I was able to go as planned from beginning to the end without breaking any sets. All sets unbroken.

We were already planning to add the number of pair wods in the future and maybe take strength workouts as well such as 5min amrap of 60kg clean & jerks or 50kg snatches. That would make a hell of a training session.


Toni did the same workouts today as I did. I'm not sure about the weights in the clean but somehow I recall him doing 70, 80 and 85kg as power cleans. He tried 90kg a few times but didn't have his head around it and thus he collapsed on the technique. He's basically doing all his cleans as power cleans. There's a lot of strength in this dude. However, once he learns to squat clean, he's gonna add 10kg in his max load, there's no doubt about it. I really hope he would be patient in learning that 'cause I know he is going to learn it quickly and is gonna nail big numbers soon after.

It was awesome to have him at the Box with us today. It's definitely a help when you have a training partner to lift those heavy weights with you and share the metcon pain =)

No comments:

Post a Comment