Sunday, July 21, 2013

Sunday 21.7: Tabata deadlift, metcon

Sunday. Tabata deadlift @ 120kg. Result, 48 reps. Metcon, 5 rounds of rowing, hspu and ring dips. Time 18.40.

Felt very tired in the morning. After breakfast I was ready to take a nap =) However, we loaded our bodies full of energy and headed to the gym with Pauliina. Both eager to train because of a bye week in Spain. Did Tabata deadlifts today and then a metcon consisting of hspu's and ring dips, rowing as well.



Strength. 48 reps
  • Tabata deadlift
  • 20 sec on, 10 sec off for 8 total rounds
  • 120kg on the barbell
  • Result, 6 reps each round
This was a newcomer. Haven't done Tabata workouts in strength movements. Only once with light push presses waaaaay back with Tony the Pony. A good workout to say the least. It was difficult to know how to approach this one. Normally when you attack Tabata workouts, if you go full steam in the beginning you're gonna get smoked in the end. When you do a steady work throughout by starting with lesser reps, the end result is that you end up having more reps.

That was the reasoning for me to aim for 6 reps each round. I carried out the strategy perfectly. Result 6 reps per round, totaling 48 reps with 120kg, 5.760kg in 3.50min. In the beginning I could have done 8-10 reps for 2-3 rounds probably but then the fatigue would have hit me pretty badly. This is all guessing but that's what I recon the feelings were at the time. After 4 rounds the 120kg started to feel heavier because there's not much to recover. I was also thinking about 130kg in advance but I'm satisfied I locked it at 120kg. Those extra 10kg might have come back to haunt me.

With that being said, I believe the weight for today and the strategy carried out were both very good choices for me. This workout is very much recommendable. Since I couldn't take a video of my Tabata, I'm gonna let you see the monster himself doing the same workout with 150kg. Be my guest: Rob Orlando.



Metcon. Time 18.40
  • 5 rounds of:
  • 500/400/300/200/100m row
  • 5 handstand push-ups
  • 15 ring dips
Took some time with the workout. Basically it was the ring dips that made me suffer. The distance of rowing got shorter by the rounds. Starting at 500m, next round 400m etc. Then 5 handstand push-ups that I was able to do unbroken for the first 3 rounds. No misses though. I knew where my strength level was at the time and didn't waste energy in failed attempts.

Ring dips are not one of my strengths. For 2-3 rounds I had a strategy of completing them 5-5-5. On the last 2 rounds I had to split it a bit more. I felt the movement's toughness in the front of my shoulders, chest and triceps. Okay, my breathing was rather fast after rowing, I tried to keep a good pace there and also after handstand push-ups. But on the ring dips it was more of a strength issue. Got some chance to catch my breath 'cause I had to take breaks with dips.

First round of hspu's as strict, then kipping

I'm so happy we went to train and not skip it. After having a week off from training with barbells this has been a rather rough starting point to workout with heavy weights. For barbell work, there's been back squats, heavy step-ups, cleans, clean & jerks, snatches, overhead squats and deadlifts in the last 3 days, accompanied with bodyweight stuff.



No comments:

Post a Comment