Thursday, July 4, 2013

Thursday 4.7: Squat singles, hang squat cleans

Thursday. Back squat singles (max 135kg). Perform 30 hang squat cleans (60-70kg).

I had a good feeling about today's workouts. I had prepared myself for it and was ready to take 140kg up again in back squats. I was also thinking about emom training for back squats and finally hang squat cleans. Barbell action. Was hoping to have Toni with me to take those singles up but he had to skip it in the last minute.

Strength. Back squat singles (100, 110, 120, 130, 135kg, 140failed). I believe there was proper warm-up to get ready for some big lifts. Throughout the day my legs felt good and not stressed at all. Still, once I was hitting those heavier weights, it felt like there was 160kg in my back.

After 130kg I thought for a second whether to add 5 or 10kg. Decided to take the smaller step just in case. I was able to squeeze that up, and I felt it in my entire body. Really felt the tension in my abs, and this specific lift probably made it more difficult to get 140kg up. Don't know what the result would have been if I skipped directly to 140kg, my current PR number.

My legs felt they had taken enough and I wasn't ready for emom training. What I had in mind, was 3 reps every minute for 10min @ 70% of 1rep max. Instead, I moved on to hang squat cleans.

Perform 30 hang squat cleans.
  • Did them in sets of 5 reps, with short rest
  • First 4 sets @ 60kg
  • Last 2 sets @ 70kg

This was not for time, nor for strength. I put only 60kg on the barbell, tried to get that technique in place. Wanted to have a lot of reps with light weight and work on the speed in getting under the bar. Didn't rest too much between sets to get some heart beat up as well. The last 2 sets were completed with 70kg.

In the end I worked on my squat snatch technique, not adding kilos but sitting in the hole in the overhead squat position and performing some squat snatches. Then some sets of hang squat snatches with 20kg / 30kg, feeling comfortable.


Lucas Parker, Canadian crossfit athlete



No comments:

Post a Comment