Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Wednesday 24.7: Handstand, split jerk, run/wb/burpee metcon

Wednesday. Handstand walk skills training. Split jerk technique. Metcon, 3 athletes, running, wall ball, burpees.

To describe the training day in one word: perfect! There were 3 of us: me, my bro Sipa and his friend Henkka, a strong athlete. Starting with some skills training, handstand walk and double unders. Then we scheduled to practice split jerk technique. I accidentally hit a jerk pr at the same time =) And finally the metcon was grueling, very tough indeed. Could not have asked for more from this day!



Handstand. It's been too long since last handstand session. For the last 2 months it's been around 1.5 times per week that I've concentrated in this skill. I thought my trip to Spain would be all about handstand walk but surprisingly I didn't find a good spot for training that. So there's been about 2 weeks since last handstand walk session.

There's some action below. Sipa did some pretty impressive handstand there. You'll see some more clips in my Youtube channel.




Split jerk. Technique training that turned into PR!
  • 5x40, 5x40, 3x60, 3x70, 1x80, 1x85, 1x90kg PR, failed on 95kg
One beautiful day I realized there's some work to be done with my jerks. I nailed a PR just before I went to Spain. That day in Liikuntamylly I intentionally went after clean & jerk singles. Haven't tried press / jerk singles in several months, have I tried them this year at all, don't know. And that was not the purpose today either. This video inspired me even more to this movement done. Coach Burgener revealing this stuff.



Henkka anyway kept adding plates on the bar and I stayed with him. At some point I realized there's 80kg on the barbell and I got it up. In the beginning it was very shaky but after a lot of reps with cold bar I started to figure it out. So even though we added kilos on the bar I felt confident. The guys said there were no difference in the lifts up to 70kg. I can see that in the 80kg+ jerks I don't drop as down as I did in the earlier steps. Anyway, that was enough to get to 85, then a PR lift of 90kg. Take a look at the video below. I almost nailed 95kg which would have been freaking awesome. There my drop was too shy so I didn't get under the bar properly.


Split jerk, 90kg, PR

Metcon. Time about 24min
  • 3 athletes, team wod
  • 1 athlete completes a run, simultaneously 1 goes amrap of wall balls, 1 goes amrap of burpees, change of stations when the runner has completed his run. Movements were:
  • 400m run, some of it uphill
  • Wall ball shots, 10kg
  • Burpees

This was spectacular workout. Work all the time for over 20min, all movements make you breath heavily. It was also awesome to get my hands around a wall ball. Sipa has one handmade, an empty basketball filled with sand to make it 10kg. A regular Rogue wall ball is 20lbs (=9kg) so we got a little extra.

The idea of the workout was that 3 athletes can do the workout no matter how advanced they are in crossfit. The main element was the run. One athlete is all the time running and once he is done, he releases the wall ball guy who advances to burpees and the burpee guy sets off to run. Wall ball / burpee guys complete as many reps as possible while the third guy runs. And a change in stations once the run is done. One round is done when each athlete have went through each of the 3 stations. Workout was for a total of 3 rounds.

My burpees were 40 in the first set, then either 40 or 30reps and on the third one it was 30 reps. Total of 100-110 reps. That's a lot of burpees. I'm reaching almost 200 reps this week. Wall ball is a newcomer. This is the first time I get my hands on a heavy wall ball, and I fell in love. It's a tough movement but somehow I enjoyed shooting it up the wall. On the first round I got 50 reps, same with the second, and on the last round 45 reps. So there was a total of 145 reps. Almost a "Karen", one of the benchmark wods.

This was a heavy breather from the beginning to the end. No pause in that 24min time frame. All of us managed to rattle through well and there was a good camaraderie between the three. Trying to encourage each other to push though mental boundaries. And there's an eternal rivalry between me and my bro so we were looking to beat the other guy's wall ball shots and burpees =)


The Crossfit Games 2013 begin today!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment