Sunday, August 18, 2013

Sunday 18.8: Squats, step-ups, ring dips

Sunday. Back squats, emom, 4 reps @ 100-105kg, for 10min. Metcon, 5 rounds of: 10 step-ups (90kg), 15 ring dips.

A lot of leg work today! I'm determined to fix my technical issues with back squat by correcting my stance and finding just the right position for my legs to be placed on the ground. This time I took some air squats and light weight squats in the beginning to find the best stance for me. Just like we did together with Toni last Saturday. Then a metcon with step-ups and ring dips. I actually started the session with ring muscle-ups, or attempts to get one. The time wasn't ready for a successful rep.



Strength. Back squats

  • Every minute on the minute, for 10 minutes
  • Back squat, 4 reps
  • 7 sets @ 100kg, 3 sets @ 105kg

This is a good way to do strength training. I've found this very functional for me. I've done a lot of jerks and cleans this way and now squats a few time as well. Started with 100kg and in the last rounds added small plates on the bar. Through emom training the total load tends to be greater than traditionally. It was around 4.000kg of squats today.

I believe I've found a better stance and comfortability in my back squat form. Being able to spread my heels a bit more away from each other and pointing toes a little outwards. The most important thing is still the way the knees behave. Got to push them out to be able to "sit in the hole".

Metcon. For completion

  • 5 rounds of:
  • 10 step-ups, 90kg
  • 15 ring dips


These both are consuming movements. The step-ups are a full body movement, naturally mostly paying attention to lower body but the core is needed as much in order to maintain a safe form. It also wears the upper body, at least when you combine it with dips. I felt the tension in my shoulders each round.

Ring dips have always been difficult to me. I don't actually have anyone to compare with but doing sets of 15 reps is very challenging for me. On the 2 first rounds I did them 10+5, on the 3rd on 8+4+3 and then had to cut it even more. I really liked to have a lot of reps with the ring dips.





1 comment: